Blockbuster

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Not Bad, If You Can't Find Something Else

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Blockbuster

Pros

Free movie rentals, usually a good crew of people to work with. If you enjoy movies and games and like to talk about them there is usually a customer around who is really appreciative of your knowledge. Management pay is not all that bad and benefits are quite good for retail work. Overall it is an easy job.

Cons

Job is very repetitive, it can get a big boring. DM's get a lot of pressure to make their stores perform whether or not it is realisitic. Sales goals constantly changing and if you don't sell then you should plan on not being scheduled.

You need to learn how to talk to lower level employees.

681 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

It's an ok company, but that's it.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Daly City, CA

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

It's a fun fast paced environment where you are always busy. A lot of your co-workers are in the age group of 18-21 and some ended up being friends of mine. They offer decent pay for anyone starting there as an associate and benefits are good and will be active after 90 days of work is completed.

Cons

They tell you they promote from within, but in reality, they also like to promote externally which isn't fair for a lot of the employees already working there.

Communication with management is poor as well as their leadership skills. They don't truly understand how to talk to employees about scheduling, work and employee conflicts and other issues. The training is horrible since I had a store manager from another store train me and he didn't even know he had to start me off on the computers. That was just NOT professional.

Learn how to value your employees better!

Learn how to communicate with employees as well!

Improve the training program because it's horrible.

Good place to work as a student!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

It's a fun job. It was a fair amount of work for a fair amount of pay. Health insurance was really useful, it makes me sad that I've left. Unlike other jobs at a customer service level, there wasn't a lot of busy work to be done. Standard closing procedures were just to clean up the store by vaccuming the store and making sure it was clean for the morning crew.

Cons

Managers seemed to hired from the outside, instead of being promoted from within, but besides this it was okay. There was a lack of afternoon shifts available when I worked at the store. There was no chance for an employee to be hired and be able to get a shift before 5pm on any day except for the weekend.

Promote from within.