Blockbuster

www.blockbuster.com

12 years gone in a flash........

Former Employee - Started As Part Time Seasonal Ended As Full Time Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Started As Part Time Seasonal Ended As Full Time Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Loved the atmosphere. Music, Movies, Fun sign me up again.
The people who worked with me at the store level were pretty great and very loyal.
You were given the oppertunity to prove yourself, run a business and be a professional twenty-something at a time when most young adults were not being taken very seriously elsewhere.

Cons

Repeated employee and company turn overs led to sloppy training and bad work habits.
People above the Store Manager making promo decisions for customers and stores without knowing the demo in that area. Time and effort wasted.
I spent many extra hours above and beyond, trying to impress the higher up's and it was never enough and if it was, it was never passed onto me. They also let me go 5 month's before our actual closing date, I believe they did so to save on payroll, to not have to continue to pay me to close out the store, instead they chose to close it with just one AM and a key holder at a much lower cost to them I am sure.

Years of service needs to be rewarded, if not at least recognized. You started a business built on customer service and ended it with very little structure. I was District Managerless for 7 months and while it was fun for the staff I looked to those above me for answers and advice and got none at a time when I needed them most.