There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Corporate sucks and doesn't listen

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free movie, great people, great environment

Cons

corporate is on a wayyyy different page than the actual stores

Listen to what your store managers say. We are on the floor, you are not

665 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

Sinking ship, get out while you can.

Current Employee - ASM in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - ASM in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free movie rentals, flexible hours, slight discount, great for movie lovers. You get to work with and help like minded people. Not much responsibility.

Cons

Lousy benefits, lousy pay, poorly managed. Lots of upset customers, incentive driven employment. Have to work nights and weekends. I have worked every holiday since hire.

Find a decent backup job.

Low pay, lack of support, heavy work.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lansdowne, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lansdowne, PA

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free DVD/BluRay rentals, interacting with the customers (talking movies, etc)

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours given at the store level to have a proper staff. If all I can give a CSR is 6-10 hours a week, they're not going to stay with me. The good people leave, and the crappy people stay. Awful company that doesn't care one bit about their employees....just sheep. They don't know how to run a movie rental business....the people at the top have never worked for Blockbuster as Store, District or Regional Managers. They came from 7-11, Starbucks, etc....not all retail ideas can work from one company to another.

Learn your customers. I ran an urban store, and was unable to get a proper number of certain movies (tyler perry, etc) that are very popular in urban cultures. I would have to trade/transfer copies of movies that wouldn't rent at my store to a store that had what I needed. This is ridiculous way to go about gaining inventory. If there is a capable staff and store manager, they should have some input as to how many copies....and which movies....get delivered to their store.

Also....getting rid of late fees destroyed this company. It went from being an amazing place to work, to hell in less than 6 months. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster