What could have been...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Got to talk about movies Repeat/old customers become second family Pay/Benefits good for small retail operations

Cons

Too many business models-new CEO or VP would change business model, stay 2-4 years, new one would arrive and change it, stay 2-4 years, new one would arrive, essentially go back to original business model with minor tweek. Had the opportunity to squash Netflix in the beginning, had the opportunity to develop streaming, had the opportunity to be ahead of EVERYONE concerning bringing movies to the public BUT choose to stay with brick/mortar system. Past-store every 2-3 miles from each other Now-need googlemaps to locate a store

Advice to Management

Too Late

Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster

1. Too Bad They Are All Closing

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Katy, TX

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got paid to talk to people about movies and games, all the time!!! Free rentals, started at 5 per week then went up to 10! Discount on in store purchases. There was always something to do in any store I worked at. People are always putting things in the wrong spot and moving things around so I was never bored.

Cons

Once Blockbuster was bought by Dish Network things really started to suck. We were required to sell so many subscriptions to Dish as well as record any conversations we had with customers, their information so someone could follow up with them and what the outcome of that conversation was. The paperwork was becoming so ridiculous that I was spending 6 of my 8 hour shift filling out paperwork. Sales became harder because the rental prices and terms kept changing.

Advice to Management

Find a system of communication and stick to it!!!!!!! Don't forget that on top of having to fill out paperwork that there are customers that we must engage with!

2. Never A Dull Moment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cullman, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cullman, AL

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Movie and game rentals. Fun environment for customers and employees. Freedom to run your business.

Cons

ALOT of paperworrk! Pos System desperately needs an upgrade

Advice to Management

Be sure that everyone is on the same page before sending down communication or direction. This will alleviate the need to complete and reconplete tasks.