Blockbuster
www.blockbuster.com Dallas, TX 5000+ Employees

It all depends on who you work for

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Blockbuster part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFREE MOVIES! flexible hours and fun environment. you get to recommend movies to people all day. super easy job

ConsIts all who you work under. I worked 1.5 years at a prime Seattle store under a great manager and two sweet shift leads, and work was great for me And customers. However, when i was forced to move across the state, the company made me go unemployed for 6 months before they were able to transfer (re-hire) me. Then, the new manager i was put under seemed to make a living off of customer's misery. Zero organization skills and little to no care about customers made working and renting there a living hell. when customers would rather send their children in to pick up a movie so they don't have to deal w/ the store staff, something has gone terribly wrong.
Also, In an all female staff, i was the only female w/o children, and it was no coincidence that i was the employee with the lowest hours (a new girl w/ triplets got 35+ hrs from the day she started) and god forbid you report the manager to the company. Only 3 weeks after reporting illegal customer account usage (by the manager) and labor violations, i was fired for "too many missed check-ins" (a storewide error w/ no single person responsible)

Advice to Senior ManagementDish/Blockbuster: get you head out of your butts and realize that you are the LAST in person video company left. You have no idea how much customers LOVE person stores than netflix/redbox. Most people think blockbuster closed down, or that you don't exist anymore. Stop tying to become netflix and redbox and work on setting yourself APART from them. Also, customers come in to rent movies, maybe pick up food; not get asked if they want to buy, or are interested in 3-9 different promotions. Pick ONE promotion and stick w/ it, don't make employees merit based on sales.

very laid back sociable environment

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blockbuster full-time for more than a year

Pros: this is a very laid back company that is an amazing first job as you get ten free rentals… Cons: alot of times you have to deal with some customers that are less then pleasant and some are down right nasty. one time i got… Advice to Senior Management: do background/drug checks and check the discs your employees bring back i have heard of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Blockbuster Review

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Blockbuster part-time for more than a year

Pros: Free rentals, decent pay for a first job Cons: Hours are limited, coworkers are a toss up Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Blockbuster.

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blockbuster reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blockbuster CEO Michael Kelly. All reviews posted anonymously by Blockbuster employees.