Typical Retail

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malden, MA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malden, MA

I have been working at Blockbuster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movie rentals. That's it.

Cons

Unsteady hours - corporate is always cutting payroll hours. Unattainable selling goals. Promotions based solely on numbers sold, and not on customer service, creating clerks with better customer service skills than their superiors. Incentives are often offered for selling, and then corporate changes the rules, decreasing payout after clerks worked harder to make more incentive.

Advice to Management

Start basing promotions on customer service skills and not numbers sold. Also, yearly raises might increase employee satisfaction.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Too Bad They Are All Closing

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Katy, TX

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got paid to talk to people about movies and games, all the time!!! Free rentals, started at 5 per week then went up to 10! Discount on in store purchases. There was always something to do in any store I worked at. People are always putting things in the wrong spot and moving things around so I was never bored.

Cons

Once Blockbuster was bought by Dish Network things really started to suck. We were required to sell so many subscriptions to Dish as well as record any conversations we had with customers, their information so someone could follow up with them and what the outcome of that conversation was. The paperwork was becoming so ridiculous that I was spending 6 of my 8 hour shift filling out paperwork. Sales became harder because the rental prices and terms kept changing.

Advice to Management

Find a system of communication and stick to it!!!!!!! Don't forget that on top of having to fill out paperwork that there are customers that we must engage with!

2. Never A Dull Moment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cullman, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cullman, AL

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Movie and game rentals. Fun environment for customers and employees. Freedom to run your business.

Cons

ALOT of paperworrk! Pos System desperately needs an upgrade

Advice to Management

Be sure that everyone is on the same page before sending down communication or direction. This will alleviate the need to complete and reconplete tasks.