There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Fun Job With Many Loyal Customers and Lots of Perks.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, lots of freedom to run the store as you choose. You got to watch movies all day, and rent new releases before they were released. Many loyal customers who became friends.

Cons

Relatively low pay. Lack of business towards the end, coupled with home office's unwillingness to change their business model. Franchise went under.

665 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

I wanted to sell movies, not Dish....

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, consistent scheduling, meeting people, learn about movies.

Cons

7am meetings on Sunday, pushing Dish network, being asked to work when I could not work due to school and my other job.

Please get a consistent manager

It all depends on who you work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FREE MOVIES! flexible hours and fun environment. you get to recommend movies to people all day. super easy job

Cons

Its all who you work under. I worked 1.5 years at a prime Seattle store under a great manager and two sweet shift leads, and work was great for me And customers. However, when i was forced to move across the state, the company made me go unemployed for 6 months before they were able to transfer (re-hire) me. Then, the new manager i was put under seemed to make a living off of customer's misery. Zero organization skills and little to no care about customers made working and renting there a living hell. when customers would rather send their children in to pick up a movie so they don't have to deal w/ the store staff, something has gone terribly wrong.
    Also, In an all female staff, i was the only female w/o children, and it was no coincidence that i was the employee with the lowest hours (a new girl w/ triplets got 35+ hrs from the day she started) and god forbid you report the manager to the company. Only 3 weeks after reporting illegal customer account usage (by the manager) and labor violations, i was fired for "too many missed check-ins" (a storewide error w/ no single person responsible)

Dish/Blockbuster: get you head out of your butts and realize that you are the LAST in person video company left. You have no idea how much customers LOVE person stores than netflix/redbox. Most people think blockbuster closed down, or that you don't exist anymore. Stop tying to become netflix and redbox and work on setting yourself APART from them. Also, customers come in to rent movies, maybe pick up food; not get asked if they want to buy, or are interested in 3-9 different promotions. Pick ONE promotion and stick w/ it, don't make employees merit based on sales.

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster