There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

It was a good first job

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

The store had a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

The salary was nothing to write home about.

664 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

Downward Spiral

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Blockbuster full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free rentals, which you will tire of after a year or two. Some good-natured, hard working co-workers (or maybe I just got lucky)
    That's pretty much it.

Cons

Before Dish took over it was pretty tough; Customers would call you complaining about fees everyday,.Movies would come in late from distribution (if at all), employees' jobs constantly threatened over sales of programs to customers. The company LOVED to refer to this as a sales job while not paying for the numbers they wanted. Ridiculous pressure for being a clerk in a video store. I'm pretty sure I got an ulcer from Blockbuster.
    I left around the Dish takeover. Things proceeded to get worse with rapid store closures.
    When I started, there were around 13 stores in the city. There is now one left, and it's probably the last one anyone expected to stay open.

It's too late now. Destroyed by Viacom debt and inability to roll with the changes. I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but there have got to be other places to work.

Great employees, poor management style

I worked at Blockbuster part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Employees
    -If you love movies, this company is for you!
    -Company discounts are pretty good
    -Flexible working hours and chances for advancement

Cons

-The management does not effectively run the company (which is why they went out of business in most communities!)
    -The benefits and the pay were not very impressive

Be a little more clear with what you expect from your employees and strive for a more efficient business model.

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!