Blockbuster

decent part time job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

good people to work with
awesome manager (at least at my store)
advancement opp.
hours are good

Cons

pay could be better
too much sales recently everything from consoles to camcoprders (we're not best buy now)

my manager was the best until he got transferred..

674 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

It's retail.

Former Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

Flexible hours, dynamic environment, free rentals, chance to talk with folks about movies all day and get paid for it.

Cons

No chance of moving up unless you kissed some district manager bottom. Companywide decisions were handed down and implemented with little (if any) warning. Some of their sales requirements seemed over-ambitious and overly rigid.

Little people do matter. That being said, take this as warning: it's a retail job with corporate America, executives don't care about you. Just look for a store that doesn't hire sociopath for its managers and assistant managers.

Stuck in the 80's style management.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

The movie industry can be a fun industry.
    Customers want and like the product so that makes the sales process more enjoyable.

Cons

The stores are ancient. I spent much of my time fighting the stores systems and the complicated procedures for getting anything fixed. The upper management style is also ancient. When you bring up concerns the answer generally sounds like, "what it is, is what it is". Also, management above the store level lacked respect or concern for the store staff. When I started witht the company just a couple of years we were required to work a 43 hour week. Last year it moved to 45 and then 48 and last I was told that if I was working only 48 hours I was not a team player. Generally I worked more than that anyways but it was never recognized or appreciated. Also, Benefits were cut and the cost went up dramatically. The 401k Match was discontinued as was the Bonus Program. I depended on that bonus but they just eliminated it without any discussion (with the store level employees). I got tired of hearing from my DM that if the people we had working for us could not sell at the level they required to tell them there are many people looking for a job and would love there's. Is that really how to motivate? Only if you are lacking any coaching skills.

Happy employess make for happy customers. Is it really that hard to understand? It does not matter that unemployment is double digit, Have you not seen the countless studies that show that job satisfaction is not wholly driven by that paycheck you wave in our faces and warn us to do it your way no matter how ludicrious?

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster