There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Not a bad place to start your tech career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, and work environment

Cons

Deployment schedule wasn't optimized for my particular group

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good pay, benefits and job security, bad technology

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Pay is good. Business is slowing down now but even during the financial crisis I got pretty good pay and bonuses. A lot of my coworkers quit and work for Google and they're getting less vacation and about the same salary.
    * Good benefits. Four weeks vacation, good medical and dental insurance (used to be free but now it's $400 a year or so) and other perks like free entrance to of museums and occasional tickets to high-society type events through the company's philanthropy
    * Nice office in a nice location, with beautiful tropical fish and free snacks.

Cons

* The technologies they are using are outdated and mostly proprietary. You can become an expert in those technologies and it will make you more valuable to Bloomberg but not to anyone else. Perhaps not if you work in a few groups (mobile, bloomberg.com, bloomberg government) which use mainstream technologies, but the vast majority of programmers are working on the Bloomberg Terminal which doesn't really use any modern, marketable technology.
    * Good job security has a price: there are a lot of really bad programmers who break things or never get any work done, and they never get fired. Depending on your team you could work with smart people but you might also work with a lot of dumb people.
    * Hours can be long and you're pretty much expected to be on-call 24/7, ready to log in and debug issues at 4am when the London market opens... it's a global business but most software teams are only in New York, and in some teams you can get woken up very frequently to fix overseas issues.

Advice to Management

Biggest thing is to upgrade the technology so developers don't feel like they're wasting their lives becoming expert in all this proprietary stuff. I know Bloomberg was way ahead of its time, but the Internet has caught up and surpassed us and there's a lot of good technology we could be using and building our value as programmers at the same time.

Bloomberg on a Downward trend

Current Employee - Senior Sales - Core Product in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales - Core Product in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good for entry level salesperson
    - Cutting edge technology
    - Good People.
    - Snacks

Cons

- Poor sales managers - lots of micromanagement and focus on metrics unrelated to sales
    - Abundance of initiatives passed down to sales force unrelated to true selling. No longer promote independent thought
    - No true sales people, just account managers
    - Low pay versus comparable firms. Long term bonus not attainable as management purposely sets unrealistic targets

Advice to Management

- Learn to value true sales skills
    - Pick sales managers that are good at developing talent.
    - Value your employees
    - Enough with the initiatives and encourage independent thought and projects that lead to sales.