Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
  www.bloomberg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Great place to launch a media career, but offers limited opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Bright colleagues, competitive pay, bustling newsroom.

Cons

Repetitive work, little opportunity for skill building.

Give reporters outlets for feature stories and encourage them to produce them.

1246 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

Good company to have on your resume. Terrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good health benefits from day 1. Free snacks in the pantry.

Cons

Everything is based on favoritism and not on competence nor qualifications. My manager was extremely unprofessional and always promoted people who she was friends with. Mainly several 20 year olds that took the effort to kiss some butt. Straight out of college kids that had no experience and became team leaders within as soon as three months and were managing senior employees with more exeprience and qualifications within the department. On top of that, the Head of the department seemed not to care about these circumstances as well. The whole structure of the company is a charade. I couldn't wait to get out of there, even though it took me two years to resign. Why I sateyed that long? I was hoping for things to change and improve. I didn't happen.

PUt the right people in management and be fair to your employees.

It's a big company, there's a lot of room for good teams and bad teams

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's very bright and sunny, which might seem trivial but I personally find it very good for my mood to work in a bright office. I like the financial aspects of the work, so once I found the team working on precisely what I was interested in, I became quite happy and satisfied. Don't worry too much about the "free food", most of it is junk food, though the fruit is great.

If you like finance more than cutting edge software engineering, you'll find it a pleasant enough place to work at (on the good teams). The bad teams, well, they are out there, do your homework before accepting the offer.

Cons

Some of the infrastructure is legacy. This shouldn't be a con for any seasoned developer, it's a fact of life, but if you're a whiny b**** straight out of college, you might find this distasteful. There is some politicking, and people get promoted partially based on their temperament and how well they get along with other managers. Again, this shouldn't be a con, but if you are young and naive, you might find this also to be distasteful.

The only really big con is the annual review process, which is a curve-fitted algorithm to award future compensation based on relative (within your peer group) performance. I would advise newcomers to negotiate as hard as you can before signing, because once you are in there's a good possibility your compensation will stagnate.

Revamp the project and trouble ticketing systems to better reflect the realities of software project development. Also, mix up the floors a bit, there's not enough casual interaction between R&D and other departments, despite forcing everyone through the 6th floor in transit.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.