There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Great place to launch a media career, but offers limited opportunities for growth

Former Contractor - Reporter in New York, NY
Former Contractor - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright colleagues, competitive pay, bustling newsroom.

Cons

Repetitive work, little opportunity for skill building.

Advice to Management

Give reporters outlets for feature stories and encourage them to produce them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's a big company, there's a lot of room for good teams and bad teams

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very bright and sunny, which might seem trivial but I personally find it very good for my mood to work in a bright office. I like the financial aspects of the work, so once I found the team working on precisely what I was interested in, I became quite happy and satisfied. Don't worry too much about the "free food", most of it is junk food, though the fruit is great. If you like finance more than cutting edge software engineering, you'll find it a pleasant enough place to work at (on the good teams). The bad teams, well, they are out there, do your homework before accepting the offer.

Cons

Some of the infrastructure is legacy. This shouldn't be a con for any seasoned developer, it's a fact of life, but if you're a whiny b**** straight out of college, you might find this distasteful. There is some politicking, and people get promoted partially based on their temperament and how well they get along with other managers. Again, this shouldn't be a con, but if you are young and naive, you might find this also to be distasteful. The only really big con is the annual review process, which is a curve-fitted algorithm to award future compensation based on relative (within your peer group) performance. I would advise newcomers to negotiate as hard as you can before signing, because once you are in there's a good possibility your compensation will stagnate.

Advice to Management

Revamp the project and trouble ticketing systems to better reflect the realities of software project development. Also, mix up the floors a bit, there's not enough casual interaction between R&D and other departments, despite forcing everyone through the 6th floor in transit.

Not a place to build a career

Current Employee - Reporter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Reporter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Access to the top executives at public companies, working with top notch people, competitive salary

Cons

This isn't one of those work as a team, feel good companies. Employees are worked to exhaustion, under demanding and often unkind circumstances. After the employee is burned out they either leave to save themselves or management boots them out. Bloomberg has been called an electronic sweatshop. That is accurate. Favorites are well taken care of. Everyone else is expendable. Very strict writing style. Totally editor driven organization. Reporters have little say.

Advice to Management

A little kindness would boost morale.