Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
  www.bloomberg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Good Pay
* Opportunity to take ownership of products
* Good benefits and nice building
* Depending on the team there could be some very interesting work
* Good people to work with and lots of opportunities to work with very smart people

Cons

* Old technology
* Can be very stressful
* Steep learning curve

Continue to listen to the developers. Work to move the technology forward and improve programming environment.

1245 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

Not a real opportunity, TEMPS BEWARE!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free food?...thats all I got.

Cons

I should have been skeptical from the start... I was hired as a temp through Accounting Principals for a "6+ month" temp position with "permanent potential" as an analyst at Bloomberg in Skillman, NJ. It was hardly an interview, the lady went through my resume asked if I was familiar with excel and said the job was mine. I could not believe the process could have been this simple after striking out in interviews for months. So I was wary to say the least.

First day on the job show up and SURPRISE there are 20 other temps starting with me. Yes that's right TWENTY. They take us all to the back corner training room and two young guys do a half-ass job of showing us the Bloomberg Terminal software and "train" us going through income statements, balance sheets and cashflows while familiarizing us with their software. On the first day they even took us to get our temporary ID badges turned into regular ones.

We had off on Friday for good Friday so the first week was only 4 days (planned by Bloomberg I'm sure). Friday afternoon I get a call from Accounting Principals informing me I was let go because "I was not picking it up fast enough."

If I had to guess the majority of the 20 people I started with were let go because I may not have been the best at "picking it up fast enough", but I was far from the worst.

And thats how a "6+ month hire" with "permanent potential" turns into a 4 day job. I was made to believe this was a real opportunity when clearly it was a scam to get as many people there and quickly get the pick of the litter.

experience does not transfer

Current Employee - Junior Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Junior Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch and dinner are a huge plus and save you the extra expense. Relaxing, social environment, where the floor plan is open so you don't feel closed off and alone the whole day.

Cons

experience as a temp does not transfer outside, really hard to relate anything they have you do to requirements for getting a position outside. Seems like bloomberg is a dead end career, works off horizontal movement rather than vertical movement within the company. People just go department to department.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.