Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com

Smart people, crazy pace.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was lucky to hold SDE position in Infrastructure department of Blumberg R&D in NY office. Not much to complain about: a lot of smart experienced people, interesting technologies, challenging tasks. My management was OK with flexible work hours and working from home once in a whole. Compensation is relatively generous, and performance review is not very formalized: if your management feels like giving you a rise, they don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to justify it to their management.

ConsPace is crazy, release schedules are tough. Long hours are normal and expected, everyone in the company works like this. Software development process is not aligned across different teams, so you can get in a situation where you're assigned to a project grown up from a prototype with no infrastructure around it.
One thing you'll run into immediately: a lot of legacy code, some times pretty old one. A bunch of old proprietary technologies are still in use, and you'll have to deal with it. Though the process of migration to newer technologies is slow by steady.
Compensation is lower than in banks on Manhattan.
If you quit your job not because of family reasons you'll not be hired back ever, keep in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe situation in R&D Infrastructure group is good, kudos to Infrastructure management. It would be nice to spread their practices to other R&D groups.

Gained a lot of experience, but too slow to advance

Business Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: People are generally nice to work with and work is very hands on. Benefits are better than average and firm treats its… Cons: Some departments work employees like crazy and micromanage. Others are the complete opposite. How hard you work often has no correlation with pay. Generally too… Advice to Senior Management: Management is not reviewed enough by employees and gets away with too much. Managers often get credit for the work of their direct subordinates. There… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to work, stimulating environment, unbeatable benefits!

Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: spent 6+ years at bloomberg lp. Great people, benefits, and… Cons: Can be micro-managed at time. Difficult to determine where growth will… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bloomberg L.P..

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!