There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Too many silos, too many MBAs.

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Resume fodder = strong. Talented co-workers = good. Many divisions to interact with = good.

Cons

Young MBAs pushing out all the "old" experienced vets = bad. "New" company execs manage up the ladder well, manage down the ladder very poorly. Company HR only cares about the company, NOT the employees. No lateral growth opportunities. Was a great company years ago, is a toxic company since Mike left.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to only the accountants and the consultants. Get out of the media business, you are no good at running it, except as Mike originally intended: as marketing support for terminal subscriptions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Incredibly good place to work if you can find your spot

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work environment, good benefits, good pay, one of the bigger news and financial power houses in NY. If you need to build a resume, Bloomberg will do very good on your resume. If you have the right attitude and perseverance, you can move around and succeed at Bloomberg. However, mind the politics (see cons too) Also, for US standards, Bloomberg offers a generous vacation package (4 weeks), and they will be very loyal and generous to their employees (provided you don't f them over). If you have any personal issues or need time for personal reasons, they are very forthcoming and easy in making arrangements.

Cons

There are 2 potential downsides at Bloomberg that (if you are lucky and/or skilled enough) you should dearly avoid: inter company and interdepartmental politics and power-plays, and bureaucracy. There are a number of managers who earned and build their little power empires in the last 2 decades, and who are clinging on to both their power and their old ways. Avoid these trolls of the 90s at all costs! While Bloomberg is very loyal to its employees, the downside is that these 'bad' managers and their little power tribes are not removed as they should be. THEY ARE PARASITES. If you are skilled and smart, you will learn how to avoid the bad manager vortex. The 2nd down is the occasional suffocating bureaucracy. Annual planning and budgeting is not unlike a 3 month ongoing water-boarding experience that has killed many a great business idea. JUST SAY NO to any such bureaucracy! (trust me, you';ll be fine refusing to participate, secretly most management HATES the process, and they'll silently will approve your insubordination) Also, the snacks are really not that great. Yes, you get free sodas and coffee, but forget about the snacks, they are horrible....

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for the great people you have. Reduce the red tape, senseless paper and ticketing and any and all other time consuming and outdated 'paper work' and non transparent and silly procedures. Make sure to focus on Fun and Efficiency. Also, fire the bad managers, you know who I am talking about!

Some good mixed with some bad

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting work atmosphere Free food Really cool employee culture- events, free museum membership, etc. Beautiful office gave a sense of pride to work there Great benefits

Cons

Terrible work life balance Even with high ratings, bad raises with the continuous excuse of "times are tough"

Advice to Management

If you are rated a 1 or a 2, and you only get a very slight raise each year, there is absolutely no motivation to stay. Why should I be a top performer and continuously get underpaid? It's also extremely insulting to hear that the company didn't do great this year and your minimal salary increase is actually high. What is my motivation to stay here? Also, work life balance is awful. I was a top performer who didn't need to be chained to my desk to be productive. There is a lack of trust and a big brother mentality that isn't normal. I am now at a much larger and much more successful company where I am compensated handsomely and I am much more productive and motivated- even with my very flexible schedule.