There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Great first industry job - not so great to stay.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is reasonably pleasant, although it does feel like a corporate job. You get a desk in an open floor space, but there's plenty of places to find a little "retreat" to think or relax during the day, and flowers and aquarium contribute to making the very glass-like structure more "organic". The kitchen is always stocked for drinks and snacks, incl. late nights and weekends if you really have to stay and finish a project. The Bloomberg annual parties are legendary and really fun (although if they gave us the money they spend on those, I'm sure I'd have been happier - they must be very very expensive!). There are a few perks working for a large employer, like a savings program. My boss gave us plenty of latitude to get the work done, and apart from the occasional crunch time, work was not overly stressful. This varies widely by department though. My co-workers were top-rate. Again, varies widely depending what team you're with. This was my first job out of academia (used to teach before), and although I was an accomplished programmer, I still learned a lot about software and engineering.

Cons

The software environment is both challenging and very peculiar to the company, though. And a lot of it is legacy, which means having to work within a set of constraints (binary compatibility with 1990s Fortran code, code relocatibility, proprietary routines) which I can pretty much guarantee you will not find anywhere else. And because of those constraints, moving code thru to production is a major pain. On some particularly central class I was tasked to optimize, my changes took 6 months to percolate thru to production environment. The bureaucracy is also sclerotic. Having to document your working hours and bill it to various tickets (development, bug fixes, etc.) gets quickly tiring, and meaningless, as the fudge factor for accounting for 8 hrs day makes charging completely arbitrary. Getting a TREQ (technical request for new projects) can be a pain. All this is done thru the Bloomberg terminal which means there is nowhere to hide: your boss (but also pretty much anyone in the company) can find out about all the commands you typed during the day. The terminal has quirks too and I can't count how many times I lost a long typed message because of a wrong key stroke. But the reason I eventually left is that once you're in, the possibilities for raising your salary are limited. You will do well to negotiate the highest you can on entry, it's unlikely to rise significantly after that. Your first year bonus is invested/amanged by the company into internal stock (BB is private) and you only see it in your bank account after the end of the second year (with moderate interests). The value of the internal stock can be tracked using another Bloomberg terminal function, so at least it's transparent. That means of course when you leave they get to keep your current year bonus - the one they are still "managing" for you. This is described by the employer as an incentive for you to invest in the company. The longer you stay, the better. Unfortunately, it makes leaving that much more painful. Until recently, there was an unwritten policy that they would not rehire previous employees. I hear that's been rescinded. Having left all that behind though, I can't really think of why I'd want to go back...

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Amazing

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Great work culture values in the office

Cons

There are no cons for Bloomberg

HR is 100% writing fake positive reviews on here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to training and education, cool office, free snacks, excellent benefits, some great people

Cons

I worked here for many years, and wanted this to be the company I'd really turn into my lifetime career. The office is amazing with their free snacks and tons of perks, but after a while you realize its all there because everything else associated with working there is LITERALLY miserable. They give you great vacation time (4 weeks to start), but trust me you will need every single day of those 4 weeks just to avoid ending up in a padded room in a mental institution. I made some amazing friends here, but there are SO many people who are honestly clueless about how to manage people and/or how to interact with clients. For every action taken there are 52 internal meetings and 15 procedures that are old and do not work. You will spend half of your energy fighting internal battles just to get a YES or NO answer. Unless you literally want to use this as a "stepping stone", are looking for something to beef up your resume for a year, or if you have no interpersonal skills and can't find any other job - then stay away.

Advice to Management

I don't even have the energy anymore to offer my advice.