There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Great Perks, Amazing Office, Culturally Repressive

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably one of the greatest offices in all of New York.

Free food / snacks / drinks.

Bloomberg is a great place to get introduced to the finance sector, a great place to stay or a great leg up into other big financial names.

Bloomberg University gives great classes on a wide range of subjects.

Bloomberg hires the best they possibly can, and are willing to pay to get the best

Cons

Alot of people get siloed into doing one thing, very easy to get pigeon-holed. They try to hire big industry names, and then pay them to do work that is relatively non-interesting so they don't stick around. Very easy to get lost in the organization.

Terminal sales aint what they used to be, they are working to fix this but your bonus will probably not beat expectations.

Clocking into and out of work, cameras everywhere, and open floorplan lead to paranoid workers watching eachother for transgressions. Very strange environment socially.

Update some of the odd rules that maybe made sense when this was a 50 person company, get outside help for this.

1162 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

Good place to start out, but easy to hit ceiling on personal and career growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great environment with a good office location. free snacks and beverages all day. you will find friendly co-workers in almost all the teams

Cons

large flat management structure and it can be tough to learn new technologies. Most of the proprietary stuff is non transferrable if you switch jobs

let the information flow freely down the organization

Does HR do nothing but post fake reviews?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free food. Great healthcare. Tons of vacation time. Learn the terminal well.

Cons

Everything else. Does no one else find it odd that all of the reviews written by supposed software developers (the majority of which are non-native English speakers at BBG) tend to be written in perfect English, using American slang, and are all written using the same tone of voice? Does anyone else notice that if there are bad reviews posted, suddenly all the new good reviews, say the exact opposite of what the bad reviews said word for word? Odd. I'm sure we will get a slate of reviews that attempt to sound non-native now, courtesy of HR.

Anyhow. Where to begin.

Stanley Young: He was hired to be the next chief executive of technology at BBG back in 2013. He quit in less than one year. Why would that be? Possibly because top execs at BBG refuse to believe that the terminal is going down and may not even be relevant in less than a decade? We've got machine learning now, people. We've got start ups that give away the very same product as BBG charges 20K per terminal a year for. We've got predicative analytics. And guess what. These start ups have a way better user interface, are easier to use, and more modern. The only reason people pay for BBG is for the IM feature. But guess what, there are competitors building better ones.

Incompetence abounds: I have had several incompetent leaders. Rather than replace them, or demote them, they are usually assigned a baby sitter who then makes sure they do their job correctly. Because no one at BBG can ever admit they made a mistake. Sometimes I feel the leads there would rather knowingly make a mistake than admit they are wrong. Odd for a company that has based its entire reputation on quality and preciseness of data to their customers.

The spying: not only did BBG get caught for spying on their customers, it is known that they track everything their employees do. I am sure they can write a report on how much time I spend in the bathroom, if they wanted to. Nobody is ever told what they do with these metrics, though. And you have no idea what you are being measured on, or by whom, or even why. It totally makes you paranoid. Who is watching me and why? It's like the NSA. They should read you your Miranda rights before working there because anything you say will be used against you.

Evaluation: Since everything about you is evaluated, you will look forward to your annual review where every tiny, petty little detail will be brought up and used as ammunition against giving you a raise. Were you late that one day? Look for it in your review! Did you dare question someone's incorrect opinion? You will see it right there in your review!

Workload: Team leads don't lead or work. They just spy on you and tattle to the boss. That's it.

Advancement: I have never seen any member of my team change roles, although they say you can after 18 months.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!