Good place to start out, but easy to hit ceiling on personal and career growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great environment with a good office location. free snacks and beverages all day. you will find friendly co-workers in almost all the teams

Cons

large flat management structure and it can be tough to learn new technologies. Most of the proprietary stuff is non transferrable if you switch jobs

let the information flow freely down the organization

Other Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a very friendly work environment.
    If you are really good, they would provide fairly competitive compensation.
    People are are more fun to work with compared with other typical IT companies. My understanding is that to have a successful career here, you really need have a passion for finance.

Cons

it would be nice to raise the hiring bar

A great place to build your skills – if you ever get out of the meetings.

Former Employee - Social Media Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The fabulous office space and free food get a lot of press, but the best part of working at Bloomberg LP is your coworkers. With very few exceptions, BBG makes a practice of hiring some of the smartest, most ambitious, and most capable people in the job market. This isn't a teaching hospital – if you're there, you're there because BBG thinks that you're more than capable of taking charge of your area and crushing it with little direction from higher-ups. That implied trust in your professionalism and capability means a lot.

Cons

Hesitating to call work-life balance a joke at Bloomberg, but only because it's not funny how terrible it is. Of the four weeks of vacation you're given, expect to take about half of that, if you're lucky – and if you don't answer e-mails while you're gone, be prepared to hear about it when you get back. Every action at this company – in the News division, those are few and far between – is preceded by approximately 50 meetings wherein the same talking points are hashed out by the same people without any results.

In the News division, expect to make 50-60 percent what you would at a competing venture for twice the work. For lower level positions in particular, the attrition rate is astonishingly high – I was the fourth person to hold my position and leave after less than a year. Like my three predecessors, I burned out from the unreasonably workload – we're talking sleeping at desks – combined with an outrageously undermarket salary.

I'll quote what my HR representative said to me in my exit interview: Sell your fishtanks and pay your employees what the market would pay them.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P..

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!