Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Good place to start out, but easy to hit ceiling on personal and career growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great environment with a good office location. free snacks and beverages all day. you will find friendly co-workers in almost all the teams

Cons

large flat management structure and it can be tough to learn new technologies. Most of the proprietary stuff is non transferrable if you switch jobs

let the information flow freely down the organization

1301 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

A great place to build your skills – if you ever get out of the meetings.

Former Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The fabulous office space and free food get a lot of press, but the best part of working at Bloomberg LP is your coworkers. With very few exceptions, BBG makes a practice of hiring some of the smartest, most ambitious, and most capable people in the job market. This isn't a teaching hospital – if you're there, you're there because BBG thinks that you're more than capable of taking charge of your area and crushing it with little direction from higher-ups. That implied trust in your professionalism and capability means a lot.

Cons

Hesitating to call work-life balance a joke at Bloomberg, but only because it's not funny how terrible it is. Of the four weeks of vacation you're given, expect to take about half of that, if you're lucky – and if you don't answer e-mails while you're gone, be prepared to hear about it when you get back. Every action at this company – in the News division, those are few and far between – is preceded by approximately 50 meetings wherein the same talking points are hashed out by the same people without any results.

In the News division, expect to make 50-60 percent what you would at a competing venture for twice the work. For lower level positions in particular, the attrition rate is astonishingly high – I was the fourth person to hold my position and leave after less than a year. Like my three predecessors, I burned out from the unreasonably workload – we're talking sleeping at desks – combined with an outrageously undermarket salary.

I'll quote what my HR representative said to me in my exit interview: Sell your fishtanks and pay your employees what the market would pay them.

Excellent Experience and Opportunity, Middle Managers Mediocrity Weighing Down Firm

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

The moola and grand vision. Beautifully designed building. You get to work with some brilliant minds.

Cons

Self reviews, cruddy middle management looking out for their skin, has vision but lacks soul.

When placing management to lead a team, you may want to make sure they are knowledgeable to what that team does. As in many large organizations, they sure have their population of suck up middle management tools

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.