Worst Mistake of my Career

Former Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, prestige, it's a "nice" place to work. You get free snacks and coffee.

Cons

Endless streams of soul-destroyingly tedious work. Work that could easily be automated if the proprietary systems you'll have to rely on didn't... I guess the only way to say it is completely suck. Almost nothing you'll learn will apply in any other environment. The platforms and practices are so eclectic to Bloomberg that if you try and take them anywhere else, you're not going to know what you're doing.

Things like career development, ideas like advancement simply don't exist there. You will be dumped into a massive pool of coders and basically just bang away at a keyboard until one day, you die. I weep for the torrents of inbound kids, fresh from school, looking to start a career and what they have in store for them.

Bloomberg, the world is bigger than you. There are ways of doing things so foreign, so superior to yours that surely they appear to be some form of dark magic, and I understand your fear but if you push through it a little bit, you might be capable of amazing things.

I quit, good luck.

Advice to Management

There is no management.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great office, great people, and great culture.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The health care coverage was great, the food and drinks were free, and was given substantive work. It also is a really cool office that is modern, has fish tanks, and you can see the news being filmed live and might even end up in some live shots.

Cons

The desk setup is very open so privacy is nearly impossible. Be ready to know your co-workers family and friends and their health situations via the phone conversations.

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities to shift to analytics and not necessarily sales.

Data Acquisitions Intern - Princeton, NJ

Former Intern - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Intern - Data Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is fantastic. I'm talking filet mignon and lobster on special occasions. Oh yeah, it's free. Employees are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Limited upside career potential. Skillman, NJ is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I mean, there are literally farms surrounding the campus.