There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Fulfilling - Good Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
Current Employee - Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Bloomberg has great benefits, provides a vibrant, energetic work environment and some of the most intelligent colleagues one could hope for.

Cons

Sometimes career paths can be unclear depending on what department you work in.

Additional opportunities for professional development, as well as clearer career paths, would be appreciated by many,

reviews filtered by

It's educational, but it's more a Wall Street job than a reporting gig.

Former Employee - Reporter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Physically nice spaces to work. Very smart, competent colleagues around the world who are generally able and willing to work cooperatively. Easy to get through to top decisionmakers for interviews thanks to company reputation.

Cons

Completely arbitrary pay and bonus structure. Newsroom management is left to editors, whose HR capacity is often limited to nonexistent. Work-life balance in San Francisco can be fine, but that's not the case in New York or other bureaux where I worked. Theoretically horizontal management structure, but I never had any interaction with higher level editors. Most of my best stories died on the vine as editors dithered -- attitude seemed to be "big stories = big problems." Inexplicable penny-pinching on reporter travel and magazine subscriptions seemed odd in face of extravagant company parties and office spaces.

Run newsroom more like a traditional newsroom, with people rewarded for good story ideas and execution rather than attempting to quantify reporting with "metrics." Give workers a chance to critique managers as part of annual performance reviews. Give reporters with most boring or stressful jobs a chance to cycle out into more creative tasks after a specific amount of time.

2. Great place to start your career. Your experience really depends on the team u work for

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

* Friendly coworkers
    * Exposure to many different technologies (I did notice that most other reviews say the exact opposite, but as i mentioned in the headline, this really depends on the team u work for. Fortunately, my team uses more modern technologies in s/w development compared to the rest of the company.) I got to work in all the parts of the technology stack i.e the Backend , middleware and the front end, which usually doesn't happen in most s/w companies.

Cons

* most RnD teams need to work with other teams, but usually there is no proper communication between the teams. you need to constantly badger the other team to get any work done.
    * work can be very demanding sometimes

Start using newer technologies.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.