Fast-paced and open work environment - best company in new york city

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Leader in:
News - most accurate news reporting in the world
Financial Markets - bloomberg moves markets on a daily basis
Data Analytics - hands-down best interactive data analytics
Sustainability - see the bloomberg 2010 sustainability report
Philanthropy - promotes philanthropy on all levels - adapted by mike bloomberg's greater devotion and commitment to philanthropy.
Benefits- Best health care coverage I've ever seen, best 401K package I've ever seen, 4 weeks vacation, free food/snacks, ongoing events on a weekly basis, the most awesome summer party, business class travel, access to wall street without the crazy lifestyle.
Compensation- 50% of your bonus is directly related to how well the company does - and the company is the fastest growing firm in NYC. Employees recieve ~70% of their Salary+bonus as a "bonus" in 2014 if they meet the $10B Revenue goal.
Career Development - new leader in career development with extensive bloomberg experience. She knows how people think and is developing career advancements among many groups.

Our President and Chairman are very interesting people coming from different backgrounds. I really like how we are moving away from our CORE product (terminal) and into other things trying to capture new customers such as Bloomberg Sports and Bloomberg Gov't/Law.

Cons

The company is growing very fast - things can get a bit disorganized.
Although we are a Data company, our data within needs to be cleaner.

You are never fully "done" with a project/assignment. You would work on something for weeks, and finally when you are finished, it comes back a day later and people ask for more. It's hard because you would either need to start over to include what they want, or completely drive yourself crazy including things that were not initially planned for. I just wish management knows what they want before handing me work, mostly because it's not easy always editing comprehensive reports just to change a few things, when the reports were designed for only specific metrics/data.

Once you are hired into a role (and are good at it), the common theme is that they will not promote you because they cannot backfill your role once you move up. From the looks of it, you will either be moving sideways (to a diff business unit), or you will be moving up (if you are even labeled as a successor for management roles).

If your employees are your greatest assets, do as much as possible to keep employees happy. This means larger compensation (remember that a lot of folks who work here used to work in banks - they are actually taking a pay cut to work for you), and stress career development plans as much as possible.

Other Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

a good name to put on your resume

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

nice building, free snacks, good company reputation

Cons

middle management is mediocre at best, micromanage most employees, long hours with not many "thank yous" = little appreciation and little life/work balance, pride themselves on transparency but really only tell you what they think will show transparency, not expected to ask questions or the reason why behind concepts

new middle management is needed asap, losing good talent!

Currently a temp trying to find a permanent position but all of the jobs go to people already within the company.

Current Employee - Junior Financial Analyst  in  Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Great food, great name, looks good on a resume, world of information at your fingertips.

Cons

Pay not great, temps are treated like dirt, people who work there full time don't even seem to like it.

Treat your temps better, they know more than the people coming out of college without any experience, consider them more for jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P..

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!