There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Fast-paced and open work environment - best company in new york city

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Leader in: News - most accurate news reporting in the world Financial Markets - bloomberg moves markets on a daily basis Data Analytics - hands-down best interactive data analytics Sustainability - see the bloomberg 2010 sustainability report Philanthropy - promotes philanthropy on all levels - adapted by mike bloomberg's greater devotion and commitment to philanthropy. Benefits- Best health care coverage I've ever seen, best 401K package I've ever seen, 4 weeks vacation, free food/snacks, ongoing events on a weekly basis, the most awesome summer party, business class travel, access to wall street without the crazy lifestyle. Compensation- 50% of your bonus is directly related to how well the company does - and the company is the fastest growing firm in NYC. Employees recieve ~70% of their Salary+bonus as a "bonus" in 2014 if they meet the $10B Revenue goal. Career Development - new leader in career development with extensive bloomberg experience. She knows how people think and is developing career advancements among many groups. Our President and Chairman are very interesting people coming from different backgrounds. I really like how we are moving away from our CORE product (terminal) and into other things trying to capture new customers such as Bloomberg Sports and Bloomberg Gov't/Law.

Cons

The company is growing very fast - things can get a bit disorganized. Although we are a Data company, our data within needs to be cleaner. You are never fully "done" with a project/assignment. You would work on something for weeks, and finally when you are finished, it comes back a day later and people ask for more. It's hard because you would either need to start over to include what they want, or completely drive yourself crazy including things that were not initially planned for. I just wish management knows what they want before handing me work, mostly because it's not easy always editing comprehensive reports just to change a few things, when the reports were designed for only specific metrics/data. Once you are hired into a role (and are good at it), the common theme is that they will not promote you because they cannot backfill your role once you move up. From the looks of it, you will either be moving sideways (to a diff business unit), or you will be moving up (if you are even labeled as a successor for management roles).

Advice to Management

If your employees are your greatest assets, do as much as possible to keep employees happy. This means larger compensation (remember that a lot of folks who work here used to work in banks - they are actually taking a pay cut to work for you), and stress career development plans as much as possible.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Currently a temp trying to find a permanent position but all of the jobs go to people already within the company.

Current Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in Skillman, NJ

Pros

Great food, great name, looks good on a resume, world of information at your fingertips.

Cons

Pay not great, temps are treated like dirt, people who work there full time don't even seem to like it.

Advice to Management

Treat your temps better, they know more than the people coming out of college without any experience, consider them more for jobs.

2. good working environment, nice persons

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

good benefit like free massage every week from the health insurance. 20 days vacation, free classes after work, free snacks. Smart persons.

Cons

old technology, mess legacy code. the restrooms are just not enough in many floors. There is no software engineering, but only code writers. Some developers are not from CS major and write really bad code.