There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

positive experience considering big corporate culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Very supportive management team, interested in supporting my personal wishes for career growth. Friendly sales team.

Cons

Baseline discount is low. Very "corporate" culture (aka lots of paperwork, bureaucracy, etc, - but expected for such a big company).

Meet directly with your sales staff more often! Hire from within when possible.

501 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Great for College Students

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Flexible hours where you can swap shifts with one of your colleagues. Great employee discount if you don't mind signing up for the bloomingdale's credit card.

Cons

The communication level between managements are not great, things always gets lost in translation. There's not a lot of room to grow, the only movement that you'll ever make in the company is moving of departments and no promotion is granted.

Being the best of the best does not motivate employees to work their best. Being noticed and compensated for a job well done will.

It wasn't the Best of Times, nor The Worst of Times

Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

The feeling of being a part of a large, well-known retail flagship.
    Employee discount (if you don't mind signing up for a credit card).
    Easy interviews - if you can tell them how you succeeded at your last job, and portray a positive attitude, they'll hire you. Yes, even you.
    Open-door supervision and management. They're always willing to listen, which is a big plus.

Cons

Lack of information - I was on the sales floor as often as the sales associates, but because I was part of a different department, I wasn't told what the sales were, where to find things outside my department - all the things the customers asked me most.
    Bloomingdale's has a well-publicized internal promotion policy, which begins with having "The Conversation" with your manager about your future at the company. Unless you're seasonal; in which case you'll have to reapply for something permanent and THEN have The Conversation with your subsequent manager.
    I understand that retail = low wages, but I was stunned at how low those wages were for a higher-end retail flagship.

Just a little more work/life flexibility and a slightly higher wage (even $9/hr) can go a long way with employee satisfaction.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!