Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

positive experience considering big corporate culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Very supportive management team, interested in supporting my personal wishes for career growth. Friendly sales team.

Cons

Baseline discount is low. Very "corporate" culture (aka lots of paperwork, bureaucracy, etc, - but expected for such a big company).

Meet directly with your sales staff more often! Hire from within when possible.

584 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

It wasn't the Best of Times, nor The Worst of Times

Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

The feeling of being a part of a large, well-known retail flagship.
    Employee discount (if you don't mind signing up for a credit card).
    Easy interviews - if you can tell them how you succeeded at your last job, and portray a positive attitude, they'll hire you. Yes, even you.
    Open-door supervision and management. They're always willing to listen, which is a big plus.

Cons

Lack of information - I was on the sales floor as often as the sales associates, but because I was part of a different department, I wasn't told what the sales were, where to find things outside my department - all the things the customers asked me most.
    Bloomingdale's has a well-publicized internal promotion policy, which begins with having "The Conversation" with your manager about your future at the company. Unless you're seasonal; in which case you'll have to reapply for something permanent and THEN have The Conversation with your subsequent manager.
    I understand that retail = low wages, but I was stunned at how low those wages were for a higher-end retail flagship.

Just a little more work/life flexibility and a slightly higher wage (even $9/hr) can go a long way with employee satisfaction.

Better Than Average, But far from perfect

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Love the Discount, Love the coworkers

The work environment in the Palo Alto Bloomies is a lot more wholesome and warm than SF where it's all numbers. They recognize real performance from people, and the right attitudes. I feel empowered to own my business, and run my own show, as long as I show results for it.

The clientele who shop at Stanford (in general) have a certain caliber of respect for sales associates, moreso than for the kinds of (general) population whom one might find at say, JC Pennys @ Great Mall or even Macys sometimes. However, they expect a certain caliber out of a sales associate at Bloomingdale's and with good reason.

I feel that I received a large amount of recognition for a lot of my hard work in my years with the company, although I also feel as though i have been passed over for a few opportunities I was quite qualified for.

Cons

they'll can't cut you out without good reason. (but they'll find a reason if they need)

Favoritism is rampant and unavoidable.
    They've passed over well qualified candidates to hire someone who interviews well, but may not be able to perform

They've lost many charming associates due to failure to meet certain expectations.
    They've also kept a lot of associates who may no longer be carrying their own weight due to tenure with the company.

The men's staff is incompetant, Y.E.S. is never there, Cosmetics and FA are always chit chatting away, and the Homestore seem avoidant and/or snobbish. and the Fine Jewelry is a mixed bag either very helpful or not at all.

Senior Management tries, but is not quite as in touch with the floor's sales associates. Middle Management lacks consistency, and Corporate Management has no idea what's going on and makes decisions without the input of Sales Associates.

BUT, if you speak out, you will be heard. At least, I know i have been.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's