Shocked at Pay Schedule

Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Relatively little interference from management. I enjoy working with customers so helping people find their favorite dress or work attire was fun.

Cons

This was a commission-only job -- no base pay whatsoever. Commission was wet at 6.75 percent so you'd have to sell $1000 to earn $67.50. And the company has a one-year return policy so your commissions can be deducted from your paycheck for up to 365 days. So, you're basically an entrepreneur, but the company sets your hours, enforces a dreary all-black dress code and mandates attendance an unpaid meetings. The interview process was also the most complicated I've ever experienced -- a 40-minute personality test, an agreement that the company conduct a background check that included hiring private investigators and talking to neighbors and three interviews. This was awfully excessive for a job for which the employee offers no compensation.

Advice to Management

A high-end department store should offer wage and benefits to people who work there. Bloomingdale's has a reputation for offering high-end fashion but offer its "employees" fewer benefits than they'd get at a 99-cent store. Customers will be happier if they are served by happy employees. You would attract better sales associates and increase sales if you treated people in your employ better.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's

1. positive experience considering big corporate culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very supportive management team, interested in supporting my personal wishes for career growth. Friendly sales team.

Cons

Baseline discount is low. Very "corporate" culture (aka lots of paperwork, bureaucracy, etc, - but expected for such a big company).

Advice to Management

Meet directly with your sales staff more often! Hire from within when possible.

2. It wasn't the Best of Times, nor The Worst of Times

Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in New York, NY

Pros

The feeling of being a part of a large, well-known retail flagship. Employee discount (if you don't mind signing up for a credit card). Easy interviews - if you can tell them how you succeeded at your last job, and portray a positive attitude, they'll hire you. Yes, even you. Open-door supervision and management. They're always willing to listen, which is a big plus.

Cons

Lack of information - I was on the sales floor as often as the sales associates, but because I was part of a different department, I wasn't told what the sales were, where to find things outside my department - all the things the customers asked me most. Bloomingdale's has a well-publicized internal promotion policy, which begins with having "The Conversation" with your manager about your future at the company. Unless you're seasonal; in which case you'll have to reapply for something permanent and THEN have The Conversation with your subsequent manager. I understand that retail = low wages, but I was stunned at how low those wages were for a higher-end retail flagship.

Advice to Management

Just a little more work/life flexibility and a slightly higher wage (even $9/hr) can go a long way with employee satisfaction.