Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com

Shocked at Pay Schedule

Selling Specialist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsRelatively little interference from management. I enjoy working with customers so helping people find their favorite dress or work attire was fun.

ConsThis was a commission-only job -- no base pay whatsoever. Commission was wet at 6.75 percent so you'd have to sell $1000 to earn $67.50. And the company has a one-year return policy so your commissions can be deducted from your paycheck for up to 365 days. So, you're basically an entrepreneur, but the company sets your hours, enforces a dreary all-black dress code and mandates attendance an unpaid meetings.

The interview process was also the most complicated I've ever experienced -- a 40-minute personality test, an agreement that the company conduct a background check that included hiring private investigators and talking to neighbors and three interviews. This was awfully excessive for a job for which the employee offers no compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementA high-end department store should offer wage and benefits to people who work there. Bloomingdale's has a reputation for offering high-end fashion but offer its "employees" fewer benefits than they'd get at a 99-cent store. Customers will be happier if they are served by happy employees. You would attract better sales associates and increase sales if you treated people in your employ better.

positive experience considering big corporate culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros: Very supportive management team, interested in supporting my personal wishes… Cons: Baseline discount is low. Very "corporate" culture (aka lots of… Advice to Senior Management: Meet directly with your sales staff more often! Hire… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great for College Students

Sales Associate (Current Employee) White Plains, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros: Flexible hours where you can swap shifts with one of your colleagues. … Cons: The communication level between managements are not great, things always gets lost in translation. There's not a lot of room… Advice to Senior Management: Being the best of the best does not motivate employees to work… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bloomingdale's.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!