Bloomingdale's

Beware

Former Employee - Group Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Group Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Good compensation, good vacation benefits. 3 weeks after your first year and opportunity to earn holiday comp days.

Cons

Very little recognition if any by store managers, senior managers are finding ways to "get you" during visits instead of finding ways to direct you or teach you to be better at your job. It's all about image and how polished and professional you look. Some managers are black listed because their tie is not knotted tightly during CEO visits

568 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Although it's sales, this job is for college students, not graduates.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Not a lot of micromanagement is practiced allowing for a bit of freedom and independent thinking, versus always having to get a manager's approval for every single little decision.

Cons

If you get paid hourly plus commission, that's great. That means some guarantee of money, the more hours you put. If you're strictly commission, good luck, because like Nordstrom, Bloomingdales does not have a return policy, therefore customers can return anything they want to.

Listen to suggestions, because we are the ones that knows what happens on the sales floor and follow through with those suggestion, especially if they can make tremendous differences to the profit we make for Bloomingdales.

Fine for short term

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

You are able to make a pretty decent paycheck when your sales are high.

Cons

EXTREME favoritism! My manager at the time was constantly letting certain associates behavior slide even when these behaviors were brought up to both management and HR. Store rules/policies also weren't enforced for these select employees. This creates an enviornment where management isn't respected and associates can "take an inch and run a mile" so to speak.

Most co-workers were very gossipy and there was no real sense of team work. Frankly, I was not getting paid enough to feel like I was going back to High School everyday. I got to the point where I actually hated going to work everyday because of the attitudes of other associates.

Management also seemed to over look good employee performance.

Store policies need to be enforced for ALL employees. Something needs to be done to enforce positive interaction between co-workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's