There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

They pay good but expect way too much

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Aventura, FL
Former Employee - Sales Professional in Aventura, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Paying 13.00 an hour as a sales associate. And the associates are fun to be around. They were like family. You grow to know and love the regular customers that come in.

Cons

I was written up twice and had meetings with managers because they were unsatissfied with my clientele of 100 customers. They put ALOT of pressure on you so that managers can get their bonuses while your stuck with the leg work. Do not keep promise to promote from within

You already know what your doing wrong but refuse to change............

511 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Great experience - sales support

Former Employee - Sales Support  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Great Discount
    2. Work environment. I'm always presented with new and exciting projects to work on and given freedom to pursue my own ideas, projects and research. In addition, I find that employees at central are generally responsive and enjoyable to work with.
    3. Opportunity for growth. Although I agree with the general consensus that there is some level of cronyism within management, I strongly feel that it is proportional to the level of cronyism within other organizations. My personal experience has been generally positive and I have had advancement opportunities

Cons

1. Owned by Macy's. Thus many of the systems / equipment / policies/mentality and culture are antiquated and mandated by Macy's Inc. Bloomingdale's would be a far better luxury brand if allowed to operate as such. Today there is much focus on cost cutting or doing it the Macy's way.
    2. Strong focus on Psychological Assessment. If you are an executive and fared poorly on the assessment, you have no chance for growth! The results of the psych test follow you everywhere within the company and are heavily utilized for determining promotions. On the flip side, if you score well (really well) have fun coasting to the top!
    3. Excessive workload. In a given week, I put in 60+ hours, often work through lunch and rarely take breaks to surf the web or partake in water-cooler talk. However, expectations of my performance continue to grow.

1. Recognition for sales support is virtually non-existent
    2. Do more to become less like Macy's.
    3. Continue to find ways to become innovative and cutting edge

Great company but

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to manage high end vendors and brands. Have the opportunity to be a business owner. Great specialist contracts. Continuous contact with the buyers and planners. Best recognition programs I have ever seen. In NYC the staff/stock associates are unionized, helping job protection. Fun, energetic, exciting environment. You meet a lot of great people making your work day much more enjoyable. Senior management encourages success.

Cons

In management they expect a lot of change but do not allow the man power to get the job done. Customer issues result in inventory loss through marking items out of stock and customer accommodation. In NYC many stock/sales associates are very tenured and have lack of motivation, making it hard to motivate staff. Can be very political.

I was a manager for 2 years. It is a self motivating job that requires a lot of energy.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!