Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com
  www.bloomingdales.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Nice place to start your retail career and learn all the retail basics.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

There is some prestige working for a big, higher end retailer. It is a nice place to start your career because the training is excellent and the management is strong.

Cons

The retail corporate hours are long and late nights are typical. The is never enough hands to do all the job and the systems are hard to maneuver.

More regular and formal recognition process for all levels of the company would be very motivating.

568 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Bloomies = No structure

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

I would say the best reasons to work for Bloomies are the employee discounts(if your into the latest trends) and meeting all of the customers that come in from all over the world(on occasion you may see a celebrity or two). I had previous retail experience, but working for Bloomies was fun in the fact that we got the first look into what was to be popular that season.
    If you're a slacker like some of my co-workers were, feel free to clock in and then take an hour break, because management doesn't care (you'll recieve about ten warnings before you're ever really repramanded).

Cons

Hmmmm.... where do I begin...
    #1) Commission ( You basically have to literally fight for a sale, there is constantly drama and cat fights about who stole who's sale)

#2) There isn't any "teamworK" ( they haven't put that word into any of their meetings with their employees)

#3) There isn't any structure ( someone could be ringing all day and get all the sales, while never stepping foot into the fitting rooms or on the sales floor for clean up)

#4) Managers aren't ever on the floor, so they have no idea what's going on. They only hear what's reported back.

#5) They don't schedule fairly.( Some associates get to work just the days while other come in around closing and if your on commission that just isn't fair because most traffic comes in during the day. So if you are a closer be prepared to give yourself the title of "recovery" cause that's all you will do is clean up after the mess your fellow associates left behind, therefore prohibiting you from being able to get a sale/make any money)

#6) It doesn't matter if you're a hard worker(hardly ever take a break) and never call out, they will find something to accuse you of

Take notice of your employees and the actual "work" that they are doing. Don't just view it on paper, walk the sales floors(often) to get a feel of everyone. I know clock ins and out's aren't important, but take note of how many people abuse that. Take notice of attendance, fire the people who constantly call out every weekend( a warning and that's it, take action).
    Clean out the staff from the top to the bottom and replace them with kind , hard working individuals that are human.
    I would personally eliminate commission altogether and go back to hourly, because although it might seem like it's bringing in more customers, it is actually driving them away. Associates practically fight one another in front of them just to get a sale, and end up harassing the customer or just driving them away. Customers who seem misplaced or with no intent to purchase are simply ignored,and don't even get me started on those customers that have returns, they are rejected by all the associates because they know they won't make any money off that person. If it all went back to hourly and the sales goals were set high I believe you could achieve your "goals" in a more customer friendly environment.

Come in with a clear plan or what you expect and what you want.

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great place to get your feet wet in the industry. Huge exposure to vendors on wholesale side. Nice to know that the heads of many well know brand names had their start at Bloomingdale's. Many designers have used Bloomingdale's to launch a career.

Cons

You are made aware that your assistant can replace you at any time. The pyramid narrows quickly and upper management is loyal and protective of their co workers.

Some division are better diving boards than others.

Be honest with advice regarding career building.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's