Encourages Autonomous Development

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, good discount, encourages creativity, diverse career opportunities

Cons

Long work hours, work environment is dependent on customers and associates.

Other Reviews for Bloomingdale's

In the seven years at this company, I saw many changes and being flexible was what kept me employed several times.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Huntington Station, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company fully tests all computer program upgrades to limit issues when new programs go live and they seem to act quickly to resolve glitches when they are discovered.

Cons

Inability to eliminate poor performing employees from a department due to lack of a real HR manager in branch. The amount of time required to document all acts of insubordination became a second career for me and I felt very unsupported by management.

Ugh, why does everything have to be so political? Several times I witnessed incompetence being rewarded with promotions while other smart, hard working individuals were passed over. Thankfully, I do not feel I was held back at any time.

When its Good enjoy the ride while you can because when its Bad its Really Bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discounts,Can meet some great people if your lucky,good for seasonal work

Cons

if you are a sales associate be prepare sell your soul to meet all this companies expectations.When you first start its fantastic but once the sales come look out.sales come way too often its hard to keep up or keep a loyal client base.The customers uses this store as a rental center constantly buying and returning items.constant harassment to open new credit accounts if you do not meet your credit quota you will be written up and or fired .Be prepared to forgo breaks to ring the sale you've been working on for hours because your sales will suffer as some associates you work with will steal your sales.As a sales associate you can add to the title manager,recovery,stock,telemarketer,pre-sale/shipment tracker and credit card dealer.its true the politics in this company is unbelievable,its a huge popularity contest to get promoted you could be there for two mins and get promoted over seasoned employees if the right people like you.if you are disliked by one of those people word spreads pretty fast its like high school and you should just start putting out your resume because your job will get a lot harder until you either quit or get fired by some technicality(6 months probation normally does the trick) .To get a raise you rather not get one because then your sales goal soar even higher than they already are.

Realize you don't have to step on the neck of your workers to get ahead we do the grunt work while you get the reward.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!