There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

In the seven years at this company, I saw many changes and being flexible was what kept me employed several times.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Huntington Station, NY
Former Employee - Department Manager in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company fully tests all computer program upgrades to limit issues when new programs go live and they seem to act quickly to resolve glitches when they are discovered.

Cons

Inability to eliminate poor performing employees from a department due to lack of a real HR manager in branch. The amount of time required to document all acts of insubordination became a second career for me and I felt very unsupported by management.

Advice to Management

Ugh, why does everything have to be so political? Several times I witnessed incompetence being rewarded with promotions while other smart, hard working individuals were passed over. Thankfully, I do not feel I was held back at any time.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's

1. Not for long term

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a nice enviroment to work at

Cons

Bad management, employees are not treated equalily, and not given the same chances. Management is based on fear, does not support openness, sharing new ideas, just want everyone to follow rules- even when they are obviously not working.

Advice to Management

Adjust management methods to the age of employees - what works for a part time 20 year old will not for an experienced full time 40+ employee. When the business is based on the relationship between clients and sales professionals, make sure to keep them so you don't lose business.

2. Could be pleasant or miserable, depending on the managers.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great employee discount. Scheduling could be somewhat flexible. Managers set reasonable sales goals, never felt extremely pressured though.

Cons

Some of the managers could be passive aggressive. Sometimes was forced to work a double shift if too many people in my department called out of work last-minute. Recently, new system was put into place where managers were nearly impossible to get a hold of in order for associates to learn to solve customer problems all by ourselves.

Advice to Management

Don't set unreasonable goals! And Be more accessible.