There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

retail sales-short hills,new jersey

Current Employee - Retail Support Associate  in  Short Hills, NJ
Current Employee - Retail Support Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

very easy interview just talked about my resume, was asked why I wanted to work here.
was offred the job. at 15.00 per hour,but it is based on a draw of your commission.
Commission is 7%

Cons

you dont get a hourly rate

501 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Find a good manager, they do exist!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of in store events, appearances, co-worker sales, and overall good feeling. Employee appreciation. Union.

Cons

A bad manager will destroy that good feeling above. My manager went wrong by playing favorites, being too lenient with reps who violate company policies and procedures but produce numbers. It is possible to advance there but MY manager was not good at this. The benefits suck and are expensive!

Crack down on favoritism, and just because someone has been there 20yrs doesnt mean they get to make their own rules, that only they can follow.

Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

There are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

Cons

Most managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

There are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!