Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Good place to work..if your a hard worker

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clothes are gorgeous..got to see all the new trends..good discount..bosses were good for the most part..some of the girls were really nice and fun to work..I had a good time working there and I regret leaving..I had a full time job during the day and worked here part time at night it got to be too much but it was a good learning experience but the items are pretty expensive so I couldn't afford much but they were amazing to look at I did get a michelle watch, david yurman necklace and some clothes at great discounts on 20 20 20 days I believe that was the ratio..when I worked there we had to wear all black which I LOVE I think it looks very chic and uniformed but you can make it your own by adding accessories..I was hourly on the floor straightening up, at the register, cleaning up fitting rooms

Cons

customers can be nightmares and leave horrific messes in the changing rooms that you have to clean up..one time I went into a fitting room and there was a gigantic pile of clothes inside out all over like a tornado..some customers looked and treated the employees like dirt on the floor..bosses want employess to push credit cards really hard..many of the customers already have them..some of the employees are difficult to work with it can be cut throat..the discount was pretty good but working part time there if I bought anything it took my whole paycheck..when its really busy it gets crazy in there and the clothes are a mess and takes forever to put back and when its slow a lot of folding has to be done which isn't bad

I didn't have any problems..just pushing credit cards was draining at times

618 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

There are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

Cons

Most managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

There are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

Like no other store in the world-literally in all ways good and bad

Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are highly self motivated and tenacious it is a great place to work. It is also a good way to make money for students. Employee discount is very generous and if you find the right team to work with it can be a good experience. If you want to get into the fashion or retail business it can be a great stepping stone since there are many networking opportunities for full-time employees who have close contact with vendors. Also for hourly employees in the 59th street flagship the union is fairly powerful and a good safety net.

If you are gay or lesbian its a very gay friendly environment so there is no fear of being out.

Cons

Some of the management are hyper micro-mangers (bordering on harassment). As a salesman I was constantly harassed to open credit accounts. I was one of the top salespeople and still did not get a lot of respect from some upper management. I had one particularly bad manager who I should have reported for harassment. Also the commission is pretty good, but it would have been better to get a straight commission rather than be pressured in the draw vs commission system. I don't think it's worth the effort put into the job. At my peak (pre-recession) I had somewhat regular clients and my yearly sales were about $800k and my salary was around $40,000. I was always exhausted from working on my feet. Somehow I wish they would discontinue the commission and just pay everyone a fair wage with some selling incentives. Maybe once you reach a certain number of sales your salary reaches a certain level.

Also, I do think they return policy is way to generous and some customers abuse it profusely. It wastes the time of sales associates who have to process huge returns instead of selling.

Often it seemed like the management liked to hire very inexperienced assistant managers who are not necessarily team players. Additionally, there is a high turnover among managers. So once I had a really good manager they would quickly be promoted and the bad ones would just be strung along.

Please rethink the management strategy and also change the return policy. The return policy is hurting the upscale image of the store.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's