Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Good place to work..if your a hard worker

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clothes are gorgeous..got to see all the new trends..good discount..bosses were good for the most part..some of the girls were really nice and fun to work..I had a good time working there and I regret leaving..I had a full time job during the day and worked here part time at night it got to be too much but it was a good learning experience but the items are pretty expensive so I couldn't afford much but they were amazing to look at I did get a michelle watch, david yurman necklace and some clothes at great discounts on 20 20 20 days I believe that was the ratio..when I worked there we had to wear all black which I LOVE I think it looks very chic and uniformed but you can make it your own by adding accessories..I was hourly on the floor straightening up, at the register, cleaning up fitting rooms

Cons

customers can be nightmares and leave horrific messes in the changing rooms that you have to clean up..one time I went into a fitting room and there was a gigantic pile of clothes inside out all over like a tornado..some customers looked and treated the employees like dirt on the floor..bosses want employess to push credit cards really hard..many of the customers already have them..some of the employees are difficult to work with it can be cut throat..the discount was pretty good but working part time there if I bought anything it took my whole paycheck..when its really busy it gets crazy in there and the clothes are a mess and takes forever to put back and when its slow a lot of folding has to be done which isn't bad

I didn't have any problems..just pushing credit cards was draining at times

585 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Find a good manager, they do exist!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of in store events, appearances, co-worker sales, and overall good feeling. Employee appreciation. Union.

Cons

A bad manager will destroy that good feeling above. My manager went wrong by playing favorites, being too lenient with reps who violate company policies and procedures but produce numbers. It is possible to advance there but MY manager was not good at this. The benefits suck and are expensive!

Crack down on favoritism, and just because someone has been there 20yrs doesnt mean they get to make their own rules, that only they can follow.

Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

There are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

Cons

Most managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

There are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's