Bloomingdale's
www.bloomingdales.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsThere are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

ConsMost managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

Good place to work..if your a hard worker

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros: Clothes are gorgeous..got to see all the new trends..good discount..bosses were good for the most part..some of the girls were really nice and fun to… Cons: customers can be nightmares and leave horrific messes in the changing rooms that you have to clean up..one time I went into a fitting room… Advice to Senior Management: I didn't have any problems..just pushing credit cards was draining… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Find a good manager, they do exist!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros: Lots of in store events, appearances, co-worker sales, and overall… Cons: A bad manager will destroy that good feeling above. My manager went wrong by playing favorites, being too lenient with reps who violate company policies… Advice to Senior Management: Crack down on favoritism, and just because someone has been there 20yrs doesnt… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bloomingdale's.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomingdale's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring. All reviews posted anonymously by Bloomingdale's employees.