Bloomingdale's

www.bloomingdales.com

Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

ConsMost managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

The managers play the favourites in this store no matter how good you are!

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The customers are nice and the merchandises displayed nicely. Cons: They just must like you to grow in this store and you have to… Advice to Senior Management: Be fair and don't judge your employees by their look! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Like no other store in the world-literally in all ways good and bad

Commission Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: If you are highly self motivated and tenacious it is a great place to work. It is also a good way to make money for… Cons: Some of the management are hyper micro-mangers (bordering on harassment). As a salesman I was constantly harassed to open credit accounts. I was one of… Advice to Senior Management: Please rethink the management strategy and also change the return policy.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bloomingdale's.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!