There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

The managers play the favourites in this store no matter how good you are!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Sherman Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers are nice and the merchandises displayed nicely.

Cons

They just must like you to grow in this store and you have to be in the favourites list and a good kisser to succeed no matter what!!!!

Be fair and don't judge your employees by their look!

504 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Like no other store in the world-literally in all ways good and bad

Former Employee - Commission Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are highly self motivated and tenacious it is a great place to work. It is also a good way to make money for students. Employee discount is very generous and if you find the right team to work with it can be a good experience. If you want to get into the fashion or retail business it can be a great stepping stone since there are many networking opportunities for full-time employees who have close contact with vendors. Also for hourly employees in the 59th street flagship the union is fairly powerful and a good safety net.

If you are gay or lesbian its a very gay friendly environment so there is no fear of being out.

Cons

Some of the management are hyper micro-mangers (bordering on harassment). As a salesman I was constantly harassed to open credit accounts. I was one of the top salespeople and still did not get a lot of respect from some upper management. I had one particularly bad manager who I should have reported for harassment. Also the commission is pretty good, but it would have been better to get a straight commission rather than be pressured in the draw vs commission system. I don't think it's worth the effort put into the job. At my peak (pre-recession) I had somewhat regular clients and my yearly sales were about $800k and my salary was around $40,000. I was always exhausted from working on my feet. Somehow I wish they would discontinue the commission and just pay everyone a fair wage with some selling incentives. Maybe once you reach a certain number of sales your salary reaches a certain level.

Also, I do think they return policy is way to generous and some customers abuse it profusely. It wastes the time of sales associates who have to process huge returns instead of selling.

Often it seemed like the management liked to hire very inexperienced assistant managers who are not necessarily team players. Additionally, there is a high turnover among managers. So once I had a really good manager they would quickly be promoted and the bad ones would just be strung along.

Please rethink the management strategy and also change the return policy. The return policy is hurting the upscale image of the store.

Don't expect much.... most people do the very minimum to get by and that is fine with management

Current Employee - Cosmetics Business Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Business Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting to work in NYC and in the cosmetic industry

Cons

I realize there are good and bad employees (and good and bad managers) everywhere, however the Bloomingdales "guidelines" as far as attendance and performance expectations are extremely lax. If you want to be part of an organization that empowers and challenges its associates and managers and helps to grow and nuture their associates - this is not the place for you.

Listen to your employees and their concerns.....

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!