Bloomingdale's

hard to please regionals

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

benefits, notoriety of the Bloomingdale's name ,travel to other stores

Cons

pressure from regional team for unrealistic goals, negative feedback, poor communication

downsize regional team ,clearer corporate direction more Indians fewer chiefs

568 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Let's make everyone a killing.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Money was good when money was good. The commission rate is high, and you are paid weekly. The floor (when managed properly) tends to have enough staff for busy period. Hour-long lunch breaks, and two ten-minute breaks. Rewards for finding thieves or price discrepancies. Staff rallies are positive ways to begin a work day.
    The clientele system is streamlined and genius, I must admit. There are reminders and notifications, and an easy way to see who returns what, or who shops with who. Plus: on "off" hours, "b-connected" offers a lot of stimuli, and addresses to write thank-you notes.

Cons

The discount is complicated, 20% and then another 20% marked off certain weekends of the month (resulting in a 36% discount). The "draw+commission" system for most sales associates often leaves one in "deficit" if they take time off, or are sick... which is frustrating because we cannot indian give our cleaning/ maintenance/ clienteling.
    So many customers abuse the return policy, which screws with your sales on a day-to-day basis. It's ridiculous how much people will spend and tackily return or request a price adjustment (or two, or three... no, really).
    The management emphasizes customer service and providing a luxurious boutique experience, but who the hell thinks that when you keep asking a customer to sign up for a credit card?
    Also: they make you sign up for a credit card in order to have access to the discount. Yes, you can choose a type of card where you can only make a purchase after debiting the money into it, but there's no way you can have the employee discount without a bloomies card.
    The management is so backwards, conniving, insecure, and bureaucratic that one can never get solid answers about touchy subjects, i.e: transitioning from sales associate to manager, changing specialty positions, or even if somebody was fired. It's lies and sugarcoating from the Store Manager on down.
    Sales sharks are not rewarded, but rather given the blind-eye so they can continue raking in the sales or signing up credit cards.
    There is no upward mobility, especially for sales associates. Management will string you along so you won't leave.. why move a great seller into a non-selling position? By the time you realize you've been had, you're too exhausted to do find another job.

After working at other retail stores, I've found that there are more efficient ways of getting productivity out of your sales associates. End the draw + commission rule, and just give us the ten bucks we deserve. If that means reducing the commish percentage to 4 or 5% that's fine. And I get that credit cards the real money maker for department stores, but do not place such an emphasis on it; Bloomingdale's is not supposed to be as tacky as Ross.

It's Good if you need to get By.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Management is flexible with your schedule if you tell them the days you need of, they'll work with you.

Cons

Executives are treated like Gods. When they come around you have to do busy work, instead of them coming to greet you they want to see that you are working, even if there is no work to do or customers around.

Get to know all staff and be more friendly and open.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's