There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

"Don't work here, everyone is miserable and you will be too"

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Huntington, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Health plan, 401K, nice surroundings, made nice friends, co workers are great, enjoy working with nice customers very much

Cons

Management is very unfair and unprofessional, the hours are horrible, you can't have much of a life outside Bloomingdale's. Unrealistic sales goals, too much pressure to open credit cards.

Treat your employees like people, not robots, you don't "own" us. Get together with each other and all be on the same page and know what's going on.

500 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

Not worth it especially if you're part-time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Draw vs commission. If you aren't a shark and know how to hustle, forget it. If you have a client base and want to do it full-time, maybe it could work. People are employed there full time and stay for years, so something is obviously working for them but I don't know what that is. Maybe they get salary & commission. I wouldn't attempt to do part-time again. I was also puzzled that they offered me a job the same day I went to interview. No reference check? i have nothing to hide, but really? They are so over-staffed, you will never make enough to not only cover your draw, but make enough commission. If you don't make enough commission that draw is carried over to the next week, so you will be in the hole. Over-staffing works for them but it won't work for you. They're not paying you, so they don't care. Their return policy stinks. It is open, with the exception of dresses over $150 - those get a special tag which states once the tag is removed, the item is final sale. You can buy and return it months or YEARS later, and they will take it back. Once that happens, the price is deducted from your commission. The other associates I worked with told me to give it a shot, that the holiday season would be busy, but I need to pay my bills now, not in a month or two. Most of my friends told me NOT to work there, but I lost my job a very long time ago. I thought I would meet some nice people and make a little extra money but honestly, I can't work for free, especially if I'm going to be treated like crap by bitchy customers.

Offer a salary, even if it's minimum wage. Don't over-staff; give the associates a chance to sell. Draw vs. commission is a scam. Turnover must be enormous.

Long hours, but you will gain a tremendous amount of experience

Former Employee - Fashion Accessories Sales  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Fashion Accessories Sales in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount, benefits, interact with all different people, did I say great discount???

Cons

long hours, average pay, they stress the store card goals too much

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!