There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Don't ever work at bloomimgdales!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

lots of vacation time! great discounts

Cons

"Like no other store in the world" the devil says! This place treats all of their employees badly no respect. the pressure to open credits is ridiculous..... several people took a heart attack at the 59th street store due to the level of stress from the job! they took away our rotation weekends.they talk down to us. all of the ceo's are stuck up. they dont acknowledge us. they set u up for failure when it comes to your reviews. this B-connected is a total waste of money. (this is not a hair salon or a dentist ) ever since the 59th street store affiliated with macys it changed for the worst! worst move bloomingdales could have ever done! dont work here you won't have a life.the hour's are not even livable.

treat us with respect. care about our needs and realize we do try everyday. but you do expect us to achieve any goals when its not realistic! give us our rotation weekends back because we do have lives and family. you guys are running us down even to the point of death!

528 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

HUGE disconnect between management and employees!

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the four years I've worked at Bloomingdale's, I've made a new family. That family was my coworkers, and just my coworkers. Almost everyone in my department wanted the best for one another and there was a support system like no other. We all encouraged each other and helped each other achieve our goals.

Cons

ANYTHING that goes wrong is the employees fault. Department didn't meet sales goal?; employees fault. Customers are making too many returns?; employees fault. Visual display doesn't make sense?; employees fault. Elevator broke down?; employees fault. Toilets clogged?; employees fault. Hunger issues on the planet?; employees fault! I kid you not! Management would go around the store and pretty much harass employees to donate money out of our paychecks to a charity of the stores choice. Not right. I've said no many times and the same managers would come around begging until I gave in, just to be the top participating department. I get its for a good cause, but most employees already struggle enough. Employees are always blamed for everything. My coworkers and I could kick butt, be busy around the clock and have stellar customer service reviews. But if we missed the department's goal by a minuscule margin; we'd be scolded for not trying hard enough. There are so many things that an employee needs to do on a daily basis that it will someway, somehow give management a route to talk down to us when we just slightly miss the mark. We need to sell the store credit card, loyalty card, reach our daily goal, weekly goal, monthly goal, yearly goal, "presage" goal for every sale, goal during a sales event, goal for calling enough customers for EVERY sale, goal for having enough pending orders, goal for selling quantity of new products. Normally, all of these goals shouldn't bother an employee thats paid to do this, but management is completely flawed in this building. Management would try to encourage us by instilling fear in entire departments at daily meetings. We never heard "thank you" or "great job". We always heard, "are you calling your customers?", "You're not even close to your goal, work harder or you'll be written up." Managers would always contradict each other. One would tell us to maintain the sales floor to keep sales up and another manager would tell us to stop and just sell since maintaining is not our job. Then the manager would run to their office and disappear for the rest of the day. Don't hold your breath on moving up the ladder. I've never witnessed or experienced anyone being groomed for a better position. Management usually moved up the ladder, but management was replaced by hires from the outside. We were never presented with any opportunities. We had to discover them on our own and FIGHT to just be considered; which usually meant, "we'll see how you do on your next review." And forget about voicing your opinion at the annual round table meetings with human resources. Nothing EVER comes of it. Nothing changes. And if it does, it's too little, too late!

Bloomingdale's is a SALES driven company. Who closes the sales? Your employees. Listen to them! They are your direct connection to your customers. And when you do listen to your employees, try to implement more of their ideas. Cumulatively, you have centuries of experience and LOADS of talent in just one building! They are already on the payroll; why not use the resources that you're already paying for? Stop the disciplinary threats. Stop instilling fear! Be more involved, get your hands dirty, get yelled at by a customer and don't say you are (upper) management. Go a week in our shoes! The bonuses you get is because of the hard work we did. A pizza party doesn't pay our bills or says thank you. "Thank you" says thank you! Embrace the mistakes that your employees make. We're all human. I have my own company now and I never scare my employees the way I was scared on a daily basis. My employees know that it is ok to make mistakes. Their jobs will not be at risk. They are more valuable to me having learned from their mistakes, than working in fear and potentially make more or far worse mistakes. I'd say be "more" compassionate, but management at Bloomingdale's should first learn what compassion is! And its ok to be friends with your employees. If they don't enjoy working for you, then they are just coming in for a paycheck. Only a handful of employees go above and beyond now. And the rest, which is the majority, are just doing their job and collecting their pay at the end of the week. That process doesn't help a company grow. Treat your employees as you treat your customers.

They set you up to fail

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were lovely, most older women. I did like the customers and obviously the discount on regular and sale was fantastic. The all black wardrobe gave me enough freedom to wear what I liked but was structured enough that I didn't spend an hour looking at my closet. Closing at the end of the night is easy if you're in a slow department I was always out 15 minutes after the doors closed.

Cons

You are surrounded by sharks. Even though they feed you garbage that it's about the customer connection, it's all about the numbers. If your direct manager doesn't love you, you are set up to fail. If you're really doing your job in a department that has minimal change on product ( I was in Intimates) you should set a customer up for 6 months on their first visit. We only had nude, black, and white so I did not have many return customers. If you're not sneaky and pushy about the card you will fail. I was let go and managers didn't even tell me. I just came in for a shift one day and was out of the system. Very Very unprofessional and down right cruel.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's