Bloomingdale's

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

Exciting Environment

Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the better high end department stores to work for - exposure to high end designers - gain great retail experience

Cons

too much micromanaging - slow growth

reward the high achievers

584 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's (View Most Recent)

I've had a wonderful and fulfilling experience here at Bloomingdales. Good hours, good pay and great people.

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

The best thing about working here is flexible hours for college students.

Cons

Challenges are the amount of work being done for the pay, it was too much out of job description sometimes.

The managers should communicate better and when there is a problem with associates, they should help right away.

HUGE disconnect between management and employees!

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the four years I've worked at Bloomingdale's, I've made a new family. That family was my coworkers, and just my coworkers. Almost everyone in my department wanted the best for one another and there was a support system like no other. We all encouraged each other and helped each other achieve our goals.

Cons

ANYTHING that goes wrong is the employees fault. Department didn't meet sales goal?; employees fault. Customers are making too many returns?; employees fault. Visual display doesn't make sense?; employees fault. Elevator broke down?; employees fault. Toilets clogged?; employees fault. Hunger issues on the planet?; employees fault! I kid you not! Management would go around the store and pretty much harass employees to donate money out of our paychecks to a charity of the stores choice. Not right. I've said no many times and the same managers would come around begging until I gave in, just to be the top participating department. I get its for a good cause, but most employees already struggle enough. Employees are always blamed for everything. My coworkers and I could kick butt, be busy around the clock and have stellar customer service reviews. But if we missed the department's goal by a minuscule margin; we'd be scolded for not trying hard enough. There are so many things that an employee needs to do on a daily basis that it will someway, somehow give management a route to talk down to us when we just slightly miss the mark. We need to sell the store credit card, loyalty card, reach our daily goal, weekly goal, monthly goal, yearly goal, "presage" goal for every sale, goal during a sales event, goal for calling enough customers for EVERY sale, goal for having enough pending orders, goal for selling quantity of new products. Normally, all of these goals shouldn't bother an employee thats paid to do this, but management is completely flawed in this building. Management would try to encourage us by instilling fear in entire departments at daily meetings. We never heard "thank you" or "great job". We always heard, "are you calling your customers?", "You're not even close to your goal, work harder or you'll be written up." Managers would always contradict each other. One would tell us to maintain the sales floor to keep sales up and another manager would tell us to stop and just sell since maintaining is not our job. Then the manager would run to their office and disappear for the rest of the day. Don't hold your breath on moving up the ladder. I've never witnessed or experienced anyone being groomed for a better position. Management usually moved up the ladder, but management was replaced by hires from the outside. We were never presented with any opportunities. We had to discover them on our own and FIGHT to just be considered; which usually meant, "we'll see how you do on your next review." And forget about voicing your opinion at the annual round table meetings with human resources. Nothing EVER comes of it. Nothing changes. And if it does, it's too little, too late!

Bloomingdale's is a SALES driven company. Who closes the sales? Your employees. Listen to them! They are your direct connection to your customers. And when you do listen to your employees, try to implement more of their ideas. Cumulatively, you have centuries of experience and LOADS of talent in just one building! They are already on the payroll; why not use the resources that you're already paying for? Stop the disciplinary threats. Stop instilling fear! Be more involved, get your hands dirty, get yelled at by a customer and don't say you are (upper) management. Go a week in our shoes! The bonuses you get is because of the hard work we did. A pizza party doesn't pay our bills or says thank you. "Thank you" says thank you! Embrace the mistakes that your employees make. We're all human. I have my own company now and I never scare my employees the way I was scared on a daily basis. My employees know that it is ok to make mistakes. Their jobs will not be at risk. They are more valuable to me having learned from their mistakes, than working in fear and potentially make more or far worse mistakes. I'd say be "more" compassionate, but management at Bloomingdale's should first learn what compassion is! And its ok to be friends with your employees. If they don't enjoy working for you, then they are just coming in for a paycheck. Only a handful of employees go above and beyond now. And the rest, which is the majority, are just doing their job and collecting their pay at the end of the week. That process doesn't help a company grow. Treat your employees as you treat your customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's