Blue Book Network Contractors Register

www.thebluebook.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Book Network Contractors Register

I'm in my thirty's and I plan to retire with this company, owning a piece of the action along the way!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Income potential is very good, some in your control, some not.. Yes, not everyone will make six figures but I doubled that one year and even during my worst year stayed pretty close to six figures. Not everyone will make that kind of money as it will depend on your territory and how you work what you are given. If you are a salary riding person and not a go getter, this job will not make you six figures( and you probably would not make it past interview two-lol). But with a base salary more than most of the teachers I know in Florida and most typical 9-5 corporate employees, it is above average but also depends on the territory you are managing. The salary is not what get's me to six figures. It is the commission and many, many bonuses offered along the way. Monthly, quarterly and year end bonuses that are more than most sales organization offer. Now that we are ESOP-Employee stock ownership plan. I can see myself working until my retirement age, God willing. This is now a built in pension that I can control as part owner of this company based on my W-2. There are not many companies that offer that in a sales environment. It is a great feeling to say the least.

There is no real competition to The Blue Book Network in the industry. We offer exposure and opportunity to our Network Customers they cannot get anywhere else. We offer Targeted Loyal Network of users, strong distribution of printed books, very strong targeted online presence and usage (We are the Google for Commercial Construction) We have the Largest most active number of Private users using our BB-Bid & SyncWare tools to help communicate Project information and plans specifically to who is needed. We do not sell leads, we build you a Network of the right people at the right time. Most of my customers get real consistent phone calls for work and emails everyday looking for exactly what they do. We help build them a Network of new people outside of their existing Network so they can grow their business at the pace they are most comfortable. We open the door the rest is up to them. But hands down NO ONE does all that we do for our Customers, period.

Amazing benefits package. I have had 3 Children and have paid no more than $70 from start to finish for each delivery. Our Medical Insurance is that good. And to get paid for 8 weeks like I was working in the field at 100% of my income during my short term disability for maternity leave. The 401K is also great, the Company Matches up to 10K. I put in 10K they put in 10K. That is awesome!!! Nice nest egg I am building for my future.

Great support from Customer Service. I turn in the simple paperwork and my orders get processed and Customer Service handles any problems as they arise. Without this kind of support this job would be much more time consuming. Our back office and our BB-Bid helps me manage my customers and prospects along with my online users and help me stay in follows-up mode to ensure retention and customer satisfaction. There is so much support in every aspect of this job. We are all on the same team working together.

It seems that some people in other book areas may feel micro managed at times, I have never really felt that way in ten years doing this job. I guess I always do more than what is expected of me so I do not need to be micro managed. I have a passion for helping people and I really enjoy my job and growing MY business. I really feel like I am running my own business and if I just do the little things each and every day consistently over a long period of time, everything just all comes together in the end it is just all works out. I max out my bonus levels each month and each quarter( a majority of the time) and I get a year end bonus and hopefully make it back to Presidents Club. An even through the downturn in the economy and the construction industry the past few year, we never laid off one person from our company.

Cons

There is A LOT that is asked of us to do on a daily basis. Our title is Account Manager but only a portion of the time is actually spend managing existing account to ensure a high retention rate. Ten years ago I had more time to Manage Accounts and sell new business. I was not required to do more than just that. Now I have to go see my GC's, Property Managers, Facility Mangers, etc. I do have the ability to increase my income by over 15K to build this Network of users but it is very time consuming.( I wish this was not capped out because I feel I should earn more for the huge Network of users I have developed over the years, years when it was not tied to extra earnings) This year we do have help to take some of the burden off us in the field. We have Specialist up in NY to help each region. So we open the door since we are out in the field, they will take over from they to ensure usage. I am excited to see how this will pan out, so far so good!!!

We also do Lunch & Learns with Architects, purely to increase knowledge and usage of our new free products and online tools. Again, we do get paid to grow this as well and this is not capped so their is benefits on both sides to build these relationships. This job easily could be two separate outside sales jobs, one to sell adverting and manage account and one to create usage and train people on our fabulous free tools that streamline everyone's work-flow and productivity. I work way more hours then I ever thought this job would require. There are long hours out in the field, going to Networking events, and prep work needed to be done for the up coming days in the field. Also, online research and keeping up with whats going on in the industry can keep you working very long hours.

We often launch products a little prematurely before all the bugs/glitches are worked out.( or knowledge on how to sell or material to make the sales presentation) We do not get too much direction on how to "specifically" sell the new tools. They change a lot of things without always asking for our feedback in the field before it is set in stone. If they would actually ask us for feedback prior to making permanent changes, tweaks or launching new tools it would be better for moral and the products would more complete and may not need to be tweaked after launched. We are the true boots on the ground, we have to sell it, we should be involved more in creating it and marketing it.

Keep up the great work in trying to be everything to everyone in the construction industry. Keep up the research and development that make us the industry leader that we are and will always remain 100+ year strong. Keep coming up with new products and tools to enhance our users experiences and retain our huge customer base. BUT PLEASE..... get the sales people more involved during the beginning, middle and end stages of these new products, tools, enhancements and advancements. Let us help ensure that once launched it does not need to be tweaked. Let us help design our GC Lunch & Learn presentation since we have been doing them for years now. Let us get you some feedback on what really needs to be tweaked inside BB-Bid before you launch the new BB-Bid. Ask us how a new commission structure should be set up for our GC users based on our hard work in the field.

Try to make changes quicker on things that are obviously going to help everyone if it were changed. It should not take years to create online tweaks that wold enhance workflow and productivity now. If we were more involved in these decisions as they were going on we would be that much more ahead of the game. Were the ones out in the field so talk to us, not our managers, not our area managers, us. If you start to to this you will see how valuable we can be to you then just a sales force. Keep up and increase the two way communication and the adding of more people to our staff inside and outside.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Book Network Contractors Register (View Most Recent)

Last one to leave, turn off the lights.

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

There is a great 401K match, decent yet crazy expensive benefits, and great people to work with.

Cons

Micro management runs rampant as does the culture of passing the buck- you can point out areas of opportunity at every turn and yet nothing will ever be done about it, it's always business as usual. The salary is paltry and not enough to live on which is why you see either very young people who took one of the few jobs offered to them in the toughest economy since the 20's or you see older folks who have a pension to live off of and are doing this to make extra money or to keep themselves busy. You'll find this place will never be a career, it's a stepping stone to bigger and better or it's a second "job", which is a shame because this could be a great place to spend many years at if only you were paid enough to eat. And it's not like the company is bleeding money at all, they're constantly sending people here, offering competitions there, buying useless new equipment for departments. If only they invested that money in their people and trusted those people to drive the company forward they wouldn't have all of the open positions that they do.

Knock off the kitschy business of promoting us as an "open door, everyone is valued" company and start getting your hands dirty. Spend the money to fix the products so they do exactly what they say they will every single time you use them, pay your employees enough to live and not just scrape by or have to work multiple jobs, and train your staff the way they should be trained. You have a great concept that's being poorly executed in recent years, and it shows. Stop accepting mediocre and hold the decisions you make to the same standards you want to hold your employees to.

Do not believe the positive reviews! Sales force was bullied into writing them!

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The 401K was good, medical went downhill starting in 2013, but still is decent. There is not enough money to overcome the negatives.

Cons

ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE CORRECT. End of January the VP found out about Glassdoor; he had the Managers bully the employees into writing reviews about how great it was to work for The Blue Book. Do we dare tell the truth??? NO, we still needed our jobs until we got out. In an email dated January 31, 2013 the President attached a letter stating that if we get a new hire to sign on and stay 6 months, we will get a $6,000 referral bonus! There is the motive to refer new prospective hires! Who does that? Desperate companies that treat people like dirt and need new bodies. Everyone who has not left is looking for a place to go. They just can not tell you. Your'e happiest day will be the day you leave, I know mine was! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Stop the false advertising about how great you are. All the positive reviews you put on here starting the end of January just show how manipulative you are. The business is going down, competition is everywhere doing a better job. You have lost all your best people; so learn from that and get back to basics; but you will never listen.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Book Network Contractors Register