Blue Buffalo

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Buffalo

I love my job, but...

Current Employee - Pet Detective in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Pet Detective in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Blue Buffalo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, hours & pay.

Cons

Occasional lack of timely communication from management, leads to confusion regarding scheduling.

56 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Buffalo (View Most Recent)

Great pay, easy work!

Former Employee - Pet Detective in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Pet Detective in Boston, MA

I worked at Blue Buffalo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Made the same wage as the retail store's assistant managers
    Part-time weekend work
    Good confidence-building job; really learned to "put myself out there" to achieve daily goals
    Small, family-like company that truly cares about their product

Cons

No benefits, no discounts.
    No growth.
    Not enough hours to be your only job.
    Pretty boring shift when there are no customers in the store!

Have more incentives for your "pet detectives." An employee discount on food would be excellent, or at least a free bag every few months of employment.

A good sales job for students

Former Employee - Pet Detective in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Detective in Houston, TX

I worked at Blue Buffalo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was great being able to interact with pets and pet parents all day. My supervisor was fantastic, and I enjoyed training and quarterly meetings. For a while I got a $15 coupon off Blue each month, which was really helpful. The work schedule was flexible and a perfect fit for a student. The hourly pay was great. Even though it was a sales job, it was not high pressure. Emphasis was placed on connecting with pet parents and meeting real needs. The products themselves are fantastic. There are lots of little contests and a good newsletter, and overall it's a great part-time job.

Cons

Ultimately, you must remember that this is a sales job. If you don't have the personality to close sales, there IS going to be some stress involved. Most of the complaints I've read on here seem to stem from that fact. Also, it may depend a lot on your regional supervisor. Yes, you are expected to close sales. Yes, this can be challenging, depending on what store you are in. I am a big people person and can strike up a conversation with anyone, but I am not aggressive enough and often didn't close enough sales. That was a constant worry to me, and even though my supervisor helped me through it and was understanding, there was still some stress. Some of my stores were extremely slow, and things would get very boring. Yes, this job doesn't come with many hours (4-12 usually), but they tell you that up front. This is a straight forward position and you know what you are getting into. If you are at all interested in honing your sales skills, have a love for animals, and are a student (or just looking to make a little extra money), this is the perfect job for you. If one of those criteria doesn't fit you, well, there may be some stress involved

Continue doing what you are doing. Take note of every positive increase in workers' performance, because when my little steps forward were unnoticed, it took away a lot of my motivation to continue pushing myself so hard. Overall, great job though!

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Buffalo