Wish I'd known what I was getting into before joining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, nice facility, decent pay, good benefits.

Cons

During my time at Blue Coat I never felt as if I belonged, there was vibe there that I couldn’t quite figure out. People do not interact with each other, there’s no polite “hello” as you pass in the hall, no small talk at the coffee station, nothing. I worked there for over two years and even after all that time I had no idea what the people literally in the row next to me did for the company. Each department worked completely independently from the others, communication across the organization was non-existent. Meetings would occur, people would show up, sit there, take no notes, read their email on their laptop or phone, leave the meeting and that was it, zero follow up on any action items. The systems were in dire need of an overhaul, a lot of manual process because the systems were not synched with each other and no one was interested in making that better. The overriding culture was management by intimidation, if anyone dared challenge a decision or question anything they were scolded. People would even go so far as to throw around their weight by dropping the CEO’s name when discussing a project, basically saying that if there was any push back they were going to tattle. Ridiculous for adults to behave that way, but it happened. The day I left Blue Coat I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, one that I hadn’t fully realized was there until it was gone.

Advice to Management

Now that the company has been bought and is private again, my advice would be to use this as an opportunity for a complete overhaul. There is definitely dead weight there, people who have been getting by because of who they know when in reality they provide no value to the company. Also pick a direction and stick to it on the product side, don’t try to have your hands in so many different things, it’s too confusing for the market and too confusing for the employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

bluecoat used to be a good company, but it's business start to go down since year 2011

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good to start vendor career there, as it has big install base to give you enough exposure and create your own customer relationship at vendor level

Cons

Company has no much innovations, several laid off, company is cutting budget, and being privatized by VC. Rumours in the industry is it will be several more rounds of laid off and sold out to some big giants ultimately

Advice to Management

if you have better choice, don't choose blue coat

2. Blue Coat had its share of ups and downs

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall compensation package used to be decent. The co-workers are smart people and seasoned professionals. The company typically respects work-life balance.

Cons

Over the last few years, the company had undergone too many changes at the management level. This always affected employee morale in a negative way.

Advice to Management

Stick to a single well defined business plan and align all departments behind that.