so so

Current Employee - SQA in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - SQA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not much work pressure after privatization

Cons

after privatization, not much incentive for employees

Advice to Management

fair and honest

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Coat Systems

Wish I'd known what I was getting into before joining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, nice facility, decent pay, good benefits.

Cons

During my time at Blue Coat I never felt as if I belonged, there was vibe there that I couldn’t quite figure out. People do not interact with each other, there’s no polite “hello” as you pass in the hall, no small talk at the coffee station, nothing. I worked there for over two years and even after all that time I had no idea what the people literally in the row next to me did for the company. Each department worked completely independently from the others, communication across the organization was non-existent. Meetings would occur, people would show up, sit there, take no notes, read their email on their laptop or phone, leave the meeting and that was it, zero follow up on any action items. The systems were in dire need of an overhaul, a lot of manual process because the systems were not synched with each other and no one was interested in making that better. The overriding culture was management by intimidation, if anyone dared challenge a decision or question anything they were scolded. People would even go so far as to throw around their weight by dropping the CEO’s name when discussing a project, basically saying that if there was any push back they were going to tattle. Ridiculous for adults to behave that way, but it happened. The day I left Blue Coat I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, one that I hadn’t fully realized was there until it was gone.

Advice to Management

Now that the company has been bought and is private again, my advice would be to use this as an opportunity for a complete overhaul. There is definitely dead weight there, people who have been getting by because of who they know when in reality they provide no value to the company. Also pick a direction and stick to it on the product side, don’t try to have your hands in so many different things, it’s too confusing for the market and too confusing for the employees.

Solving challenging problems in Internet security

Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications. There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills. Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

Cons

Without a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months. Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift. There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much. Do everything possible to replace open positions.