Blue Coat Systems

www.bluecoat.com
  www.bluecoat.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Coat Systems

Restructuring, causing an unpleasant work atmosphere

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Restructuring, improving performance, great employees. The employees that still work here are awesome. I have made a lot of friends here and enjoy the people.

Cons

Poor management direction, lack of employee benefits (compared to before). The upper management doesn't seem to care about the future of the company, only the short term profit. They have removed a lot of the free drinks and food provided, eliminated the cafe area, made the gym smaller and have few events for the employees.

Grow the company for long term success, relay those goals to the employees and provide a long term road map for the employees.

142 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Coat Systems (View Most Recent)

It's getting better every day...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

- Since going private this year the management has stabilized and improved.
    - I have a feeling that the management actually cares about the employees.
    - Communication is now more open and even welcomed.
    - We are going though a major upgrade of the development process in a way that seems to make sense.
    - I'm free to do my job well and contribute to improving the process/environment around me.

Cons

- The free lunch is not every day

Solving challenging problems in Internet security

Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications.

There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills.

Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

Cons

Without a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months.

Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift.

There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Do a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much.

Do everything possible to replace open positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Coat Systems