Restructuring, causing an unpleasant work atmosphere

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Restructuring, improving performance, great employees. The employees that still work here are awesome. I have made a lot of friends here and enjoy the people.

Cons

Poor management direction, lack of employee benefits (compared to before). The upper management doesn't seem to care about the future of the company, only the short term profit. They have removed a lot of the free drinks and food provided, eliminated the cafe area, made the gym smaller and have few events for the employees.

Grow the company for long term success, relay those goals to the employees and provide a long term road map for the employees.

Other Reviews for Blue Coat Systems

so so

Current Employee - SQA  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - SQA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

not much work pressure after privatization

Cons

after privatization, not much incentive for employees

fair and honest

Wish I'd known what I was getting into before joining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location, nice facility, decent pay, good benefits.

Cons

During my time at Blue Coat I never felt as if I belonged, there was vibe there that I couldn’t quite figure out. People do not interact with each other, there’s no polite “hello” as you pass in the hall, no small talk at the coffee station, nothing. I worked there for over two years and even after all that time I had no idea what the people literally in the row next to me did for the company. Each department worked completely independently from the others, communication across the organization was non-existent. Meetings would occur, people would show up, sit there, take no notes, read their email on their laptop or phone, leave the meeting and that was it, zero follow up on any action items. The systems were in dire need of an overhaul, a lot of manual process because the systems were not synched with each other and no one was interested in making that better. The overriding culture was management by intimidation, if anyone dared challenge a decision or question anything they were scolded. People would even go so far as to throw around their weight by dropping the CEO’s name when discussing a project, basically saying that if there was any push back they were going to tattle. Ridiculous for adults to behave that way, but it happened. The day I left Blue Coat I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, one that I hadn’t fully realized was there until it was gone.

Now that the company has been bought and is private again, my advice would be to use this as an opportunity for a complete overhaul. There is definitely dead weight there, people who have been getting by because of who they know when in reality they provide no value to the company. Also pick a direction and stick to it on the product side, don’t try to have your hands in so many different things, it’s too confusing for the market and too confusing for the employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Coat Systems.

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!