There are newer employer reviews for Blue Coat Systems

Not a perfect company, but you can tell that it's trying to become one

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

1. Big enough for some stability, small enough that your contributions are important and valued.
2. Lots of very smart people.
3. Less "politics" than you might expect for a company of this size and type.
4. Excellent access to decision makers.
5. The leadership wants to grow the company, not just find a way to get rich and get out.

Cons

1. Some groups are understaffed and overworked.
2. Sometimes good talent is allowed to walk out the door, perhaps due to over-stretched middle management.

Overall, an excellent company with good prospects for growth. I'd encourage management to deploy better technological and collaboration infrastructure: some current processes and systems aren't scalable and result in wasted time and lost opportunities.

135 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Coat Systems (View Most Recent)

Grateful to be far, far away from BCSI!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

The pay was competitive and I was able to take disproportionate advantage of opportunities for outside professional development (your mileage will vary). The Community Art Showcase and K9 Web Protection initiatives are unusually notable and creative approaches to CSR.

Cons

It's a cutthroat environment filled with high IQ, low empathy individuals. Sadly, this lack of empathy manifests itself in a toxic work culture and obtuse business practices that make BCSI a very difficult company to do business with. Not surprisingly, much of this behavior isn't unexpected in such a technology-driven company suffering from a lack of leadership and absolutely no corporate awareness.

I suspect the reason why most folks don't last 12 months is due to the completely unreasonable expectations compounded by a lack of adequate tools, training, resources, infrastructure, or support from management. Note that I lasted well beyond my 12 month anniversary (it was truly hell) and I received a personal appeal from my SVP to stick around when I announced my voluntary departure.

Finally, beware if you're involved in any cross-functional efforts. Your counterparts won't hesitate to throw you under the bus as soon as they sense any weakness, especially in there's an opportunity for political gain.

1. Think deeply about why you lose so many new hires in the first 12 months (hint: it's as much as about culture, unrealistic expectations, and infrastructure as its about hiring and on-boarding processes). Also, notwithstanding the recent layoffs, think deeply about why so many trusted employees with 5-10 years of tenure with BCSI have suddenly departed for greener pastures.

2. Vision, leadership, communication, and ownership begin at the top. You will not inspire employees to deliver their best when the CEO is spending 60 hours a week running his professional soccer team and senior leadership is bickering and politicking in the vacuum.

3. Avoid the capricous changes of direction. At best, it smacks of tactical, reactive behavior. At worst, it throws the organization into chaos and alienates your top talent.

Someday, Blue Coat will become what it wants to be, if it figures out what it wants to be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Blue Coat has a reasonably good and advanced product line, making it attractive to certain types of Information Technology buyers and decision-makers. Blue Coat's Security product line is unmatched for its purpose. WAN Optimization and Visibility product lines are competent and worthy competitors. The Systems Engineers are talented.

Cons

Engineering execution could be better, and this is a reflection of engineering management, not the core engineering talent. Self-congratulation pertaining to the India Engineering Outsourcing project is Pollyannaism at its worst (for laid-off employees) and scariest (for shareholders). The company is plagued by poor communication and poorer information dissemination resulting from dual, dueling intranets.

If you want to succeed in WAN Optimization then focus on it and do what's needed in the sales force and the channel to make it happen -- it's not about product, it's entirely about go-to-market.

Don't have too much faith in your experiment in India.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Coat Systems

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!