Blue Coat Systems
www.bluecoat.com Sunnyvale, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Grateful to be far, far away from BCSI!

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe pay was competitive and I was able to take disproportionate advantage of opportunities for outside professional development (your mileage will vary). The Community Art Showcase and K9 Web Protection initiatives are unusually notable and creative approaches to CSR.

ConsIt's a cutthroat environment filled with high IQ, low empathy individuals. Sadly, this lack of empathy manifests itself in a toxic work culture and obtuse business practices that make BCSI a very difficult company to do business with. Not surprisingly, much of this behavior isn't unexpected in such a technology-driven company suffering from a lack of leadership and absolutely no corporate awareness.

I suspect the reason why most folks don't last 12 months is due to the completely unreasonable expectations compounded by a lack of adequate tools, training, resources, infrastructure, or support from management. Note that I lasted well beyond my 12 month anniversary (it was truly hell) and I received a personal appeal from my SVP to stick around when I announced my voluntary departure.

Finally, beware if you're involved in any cross-functional efforts. Your counterparts won't hesitate to throw you under the bus as soon as they sense any weakness, especially in there's an opportunity for political gain.

Advice to Senior Management1. Think deeply about why you lose so many new hires in the first 12 months (hint: it's as much as about culture, unrealistic expectations, and infrastructure as its about hiring and on-boarding processes). Also, notwithstanding the recent layoffs, think deeply about why so many trusted employees with 5-10 years of tenure with BCSI have suddenly departed for greener pastures.

2. Vision, leadership, communication, and ownership begin at the top. You will not inspire employees to deliver their best when the CEO is spending 60 hours a week running his professional soccer team and senior leadership is bickering and politicking in the vacuum.

3. Avoid the capricous changes of direction. At best, it smacks of tactical, reactive behavior. At worst, it throws the organization into chaos and alienates your top talent.

Someday, Blue Coat will become what it wants to be, if it figures out what it wants to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems

Pros: Blue Coat has a reasonably good and advanced product line, making it attractive to certain types of Information Technology buyers and decision-makers. Blue Coat's… Cons: Engineering execution could be better, and this is a reflection of engineering management, not the core engineering talent. Self-congratulation pertaining to the India Engineering… Advice to Senior Management: If you want to succeed in WAN Optimization then focus on it and do what's needed in the sales force and the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Mostly a great place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros: Blue Coat has been very generous as a company toward employees. It is also eco-minded (and not just lip service either...very visible actions… Cons: Recent lay-offs involved losing some of the brightest talent at Blue Coat, which may have been… Advice to Senior Management: I recommend taking time to truly see who is working for you when determining any future restructuring. Please continue to treat your employees as… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Blue Coat Systems.

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Coat Systems – Why Work for Us?

There's No Company Like Blue Coat Blue Coat is a fast-paced, dynamic environment comprised of smart people who push boundaries every day to develop powerful technology. (Did you know we have 200+ patents and patents… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Coat Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark. All reviews posted anonymously by Blue Coat Systems employees.