Not bad for Michigan.

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Exposure to complex health insurance industry. Good learning opportunity. Opportunity to learn about various parts of the company from operations to underwriting. Good opportunities for career advancement since a large number of employees will be retiring in the near future. People are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

It's very political. A lot of people have been there their whole careers (worked their way up the ranks). Knowledge transfer from old to young is needs improvement. Can be difficult to work across divisions since the company was structured in silos for so long. Can be frustrating to implement ideas due to the political nature of the company.

Advice to Management

Respond more quickly (and proactively) to increased presence of competitors.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

BCBSM is in transition - is it going the right way for the state of Michigan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

The company's committment to our subscribers/customers. BCBSM does provide worldclass customer service. Additional the company is committed to the communityh.

Cons

While senior management is trying to change this; there favoritism and "who" you know to get a job and keep are still very high in this company. Sometime it is still a "good ole boy' club".

Advice to Management

While reducing the number of staff and making cuts - leader should be looking at the number of ineffective leaders that are in place within the company.

Give us good leadership

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Developer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Instructional Developer in Southfield, MI

Pros

Close to home Doing the work I enjoy

Cons

Poor leadership No recognition for all the work I've done

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead Learn to communicate with us Thank us for working long hours Treat us all the same-stop the favoritism Use my background and skills