There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Decent Pay and Great Benefits / Somewhat dysfunctional leadership team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BCBSM provides a fairly good work environment and provides for a level of work life balances in most functions. The company is poised for growth as it sheds legacy health care regulation and moves forward as a non-profit mutual insurer. This growth is sure to provide some level of opportunities for employees.

Cons

BCBSM could be a great company but is paralyzed by its inability to make decisions. The company operates in a fashion that is reminiscent of the American autos prior to stiff competition from foreign automakers. The inability to make tough decisions in the near term will cause the company to make even more difficult decisions in the future.

Transition to proactive management rather than reactive management and make decisions that show that we are good stewards of a great company.

reviews filtered by

Reality Check

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair/Good hours. Great benefits. Building security is tight.

Cons

When I read the cons regarding the leadership in this company, I couldn’t agree more. Every company has its incompetent leadership. However, based upon my experience, this company has more than its share. I knew two managers that left because once they were in that position, working within the incompetent environment was far too much to take on a daily basis. My final time in the company was spent working with medicare. Most of the employees were very nice. The management team and those with authority are just a tad bit inexperienced. This department makes many business errors which affects everyone associated with this business. Of course they troubleshoot them and fixed them after the fact, however they don’t check and recheck their communications, procedures, and business decisions thoroughly prior to releasing them- an obvious sign of incompetence. It’s very disappointing and embarrassing when you and others work for a company and this occurs, almost daily and certainly weekly. Although some of these errors may be humorous to some, when you see your management team laughing about it, seriously, you have to wonder just who these people are and what qualifications they really posses. Of course, you ask yourself, can I continue to work for this type of leadership?? When you first see the errors that come across the department, you think, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone does; but the frequency of it is surprising. There is zero accountability for those who have generated these errors- for they are still employed. Perhaps a sign of inexperience? You will not be promoted based on your experience and leadership qualities. You will be promoted if you can be manipulated by your superiors- an obvious sign by incompetent and fearful leadership. I could never understand why a leader would build a team that was weaker than they were themselves. This is an obvious sign of acknowledging their level of incompetence. If you are the strongest on a team, then your team isn’t very good. It takes many strong members to build a strong team- not one. If you’re flipping burgers now, apply for a leadership position, you just might make it in. If you have a track record of leadership, your chances are not that great. These managers who have assumed these positions have little history, if any, of leadership. Perhaps this is just the environment of business today- but like I said, it’s disappointing. If you’re looking for great benefits, and can tolerate incompetence, then this place will work for you. The upper management/execs cannot possibly know what exists below them. If they did, things would change.

It would fall on deaf ears.

2. Customer Advocate Team

Current Employee - Audio Visual Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are very good at making everyone feel like they are a part of the team regardless of your position. Great hours, nice facilities, professional environment, good pay.

Cons

Because they are such a big organization they are a bit behind times and they are slow to make any real changes that would benefit the working environment.

Keep being all inclusive with your staff. It really makes people feel like they are worth something.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan