Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

www.bluecrossmn.com
  www.bluecrossmn.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Had potential, but the economy has tanked this company

Current Employee - Customer Service
Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

They used to really focus on customer service and on providing great training. There was some room for advancement.

Cons

Bottom line, they are willing to sacrifice employees and customer satisfaction to keep in the black. It'll work for a while, but the economy is going to rebound eventually, and then they'll be short employees and customers.

Customer service has long term payoff. Don't cut corners here.

65 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota (View Most Recent)

Company lives by their mission "We make a healthy difference in people's lives"

Current Employee - Admin Assistant  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal growth opportunitites are amazing - you are in charge of your career and BCBSMN supports life-long learning. The Blue U (University) offers many free trainings.

Cons

There are five buildings in Eagan and it bites to go to meetings in those other buildings (especially in the winter) and lose your parking space.

Love the transparency of the Strategic Plan and how visible everyone's goals are and how they fit into the plan. Makes us feel like our job has an impact in the organization

Customer Service Rep Review

Former Employee - Health Guide  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outside of the service department, the company appears to be great. Great campus to work on, multiple fitness centers, great cafeteria's focused on healthy options.

Cons

Working as a Health Guide in the contact center started out all right, perhaps because I had such a positive outlook on finally having an office job(yes, I actually love the idea of an office job!). However, after going through open enrollment, those positive thoughts have gone away. I think most of us thought that after open enrollment ended, things would get better. Ha!! Things have only gotten worse! MNSure and BCBSMN were not prepared for the exchange. Unbelievable processing time for members. This isn't a review for mnsure, so I won't even get into dealing with them. If you had a question and your tech resources weren't available, then you had to email in your issue and tell the member you'd give them a callback. But then, you were never given any time to make those callbacks, resulting in getting members on the line that were furious because they were told they'd get that callback. You are given after call work time, that if not done within a standard amount of time, you'd have supervisors IMing you telling you to go available. After being on a 45 minute call with someone that needed research done, you'd be given maybe 2-3 minutes after hanging up with the member to close up your piece. It's very unlikely that supervisors will take escalated calls from members. We are told to own our calls and de-escalate the situation in order to avoid them having to take it. We're told, "well, there's nothing more I can do about it, so I don't know what they expect me to do."

BILLING. Oh my god I could write a book on the billing issues that have been occurring. Blue Cross decided to implement a new billing system a few months back. This was one of the worst decisions and whoever decided that this system was a good idea should be fired. If the member is on eft, sometimes finance will pull two months instead of one, and then because "the system" won't generate a refund right away, the members have to wait a month or so before their refund will go out. You can try to email finance to get an answer on an issue, and if you send it as an urgent, you MIGHT be lucky to get a response in two weeks. And guess what that response is?? "The issue has been resolved." So, they don't get back to you until after your question has been answered on it's own. Member's policies have been terminated due to billing errors. Member's that had requested to be cancelled a month prior, and who's policies were cancelled, still are having money pulled out of their account.

Good luck getting any time off. PTO has to be approved, but you pretty much have to request your day off 90 days out, or else good luck getting it approved. If you want to take some unpaid approved time off, you can only request that 3 days in advance, and there is NO WAY that they will ever approve that. If you call in sick, and have PTO in your "bank" you HAVE to use that time, you can't choose to take it as unpaid. God forbid you be allowed to use your time as you'd like. And if you have to call off of work too many times, you will written up and put on a 90 day probationary period. (I get there has to be guidelines, but unless you work there, it's hard to explain how awful the time off system is).

Start actually listening to your employees, respond to our concerns and give us the proper back up to take care of our member's issues.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!