I loved it there!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

- Very structured work environment
- A lot of opportunities to gain more information regarding healthcare
- A chance to make a difference to your community

Cons

- Not a lot of opportunity to grow as much from an Intern to a full time employee.
- Workforce is very old (my previous department average age was 45)

- Allow for the youth to make a difference in the organization.

Other Reviews for Blue Cross (MI)

Positive with good benefits, competitive salary working with a great leader.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

Great benefits, including pension plan (which is portable), matching 401k, generous short-term and long-term disability, generous life-insurance, dental, vision, medical benefits and time off. Market share is still good and financial performance is great considering the economic climate in Michigan.

Cons

Changes take a long time. Innovative projects take a back seat due to state and federal mandates and Blue Cross Association mandates. Moving projects forward involves navigating through a political climate. Union employees can make life miserable by filing unwarranted grievances which take an inordinate amount of management time and then is dismissed due to lack of merit.

Although BCBSM has made great strides in removing ineffective employees, there is still a long way to go.

A real Michigan company living up to a real Michigan mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan really does conduct its business in a way that balances the success of the organization with the health and economic well-being of the people of Michigan. It is a company that takes a leadership role in making health insurance and the entire health care system work in our state. I feel like I am doing important work and making a positive impact every day. There are great people all over the company at every level. I feel connected with co-workers and to a large extent, even senior leaders around corporate goals and even what we do every day at the business unit level.

Cons

Highly regulated by the state and highly politicized organization. Historically archaic in operating systems and business processes, the company is fighting to get beyond that but many road blocks still remain. Like many businesses, Blue Cross has focused intensely on leaning out over the course of the past 3-4 years. As a result, while business results are being achieved and people are performing at much higher levels, the workforce is significantly smaller and the work loads are generally anywhere from 30 to 300% greater per person. Meanwhile compensation has barely moved so there's people doing Superman work and getting paid like Clark Kent.

Pay, reward and recognize high-performing employees better.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross (MI).

Worked for Blue Cross (MI)? Contribute to the Community!