Blue Cross

www.bcbs.com
  www.bcbs.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross

Not horrible, but not great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross

Pros

Salary very good. Not one complaint since I got here.
Health insurance good (don't pick the company choice though; go PPO)
PTO comparable to other places
Flex time fine
Telecommuting fine
I like what I do and for the most part, my coworkers

Cons

Majority of sr. management has been here over 20 years and they are deaf to change. The company needs an overhaul of anyone who is a VP and been here over 10 years.
We are so far behind in technology, thinking, output.
Huge waste of money always happening. Most national programs fail.
Too much red tape to get things approved.
More politics than Washington. If you're a favorite, then you're in. If you're good but unrecognized, forget it. You'll never move up. We have mid level people here for over 13 years and they've never been promoted to sr. level.
High turnover in our division. Gee, I wonder why.
They promote the wrong people as managers.

For those who've been there over 15 years, especially sr. management, please leave. You're ruining the company.

134 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

Good Benefits and Stable Job

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits and ability to work on multiple projects

Cons

Politics, performance reviews, environment, pay

Recognize the employees who make your job easier

The right organization for the right person

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross

Pros

The best benefit to working at BCBSA is overall work/life balance. Depending on starting pay grade you receive 20 or 25 paid time off (PTO) days plus 10+ paid holidays. The official work day is 7.5 hours. Insurance and other benefits are very good. My experience is that management is very undersanding and willing to provide work life balance including flex time, generous work from home arrangements, and overall treatment of employees as people with lives outside of work.

After work life balance, there's a sense of pride working for a brand that insures 100 million lives (1/3 of the country). There are a lot of very bright and talented people employed there.

Cons

The average employee age is 55+ and a lot of employees have been with the company a long time. As a result change is slow. Many managers seem more interested in making their time to retirement as comfortable for them than improving the organization.

Politics often get in the way of work and recognition. Otherwise excellent performance can be discredited due to personal agendas and power struggles.

Policies are unevenly applied. The plusses listed above are because of the strengths of my management. Employees in different departments are not as lucky.

Pay is average. The company's compensation policy is benchmarked at the median for similar jobs in similar industries. They sometimes ahve trouble attracting the needed talent because of compensation policies.

Talented and aggressive employees can quickly become frustrated. Less talented and complacent employees are challenged. If you're looking to quickly advance or cash is more important than benefits look elsewhere.

At times it feels like working for a government agency.

Improve day to day operations. There's a lot of inconsistency and waste so tighten financial controls..

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross