Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana

www.bcbsla.com
  www.bcbsla.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana

Be afraid...be very afraid....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, solid benefits, nice home office facility. Compensation is fair and market based. Some exceptional managers are doing great work and building solid teams.

Cons

Culture, silos, slow decision making, politics, questionable future with health care reform. Pockets of totally incompetent managers. Right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing. Infighting and duplication of effort.

Trust employees to make decisions, allow for empowerment and build your culture to reflect the literature. Culture eats strategy for breakfast. Be quicker and more nimble to deal with the torrid pace of change in your industry.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Response

Nov 5, 2014Digital Experience Team lead

Thanks for the feedback. Our company and industry is undergoing significant changes. We are embracing this change and making every effort to adapt and improve our processes, capabilities and talent ... More

41 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana (View Most Recent)

Best place in the US

Current Employee - QA Analyst/Tester in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst/Tester in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, No issues whatever, colleagues help! Working hours are pretty laid back, but people work hard until the work is done.

Cons

Cafeteria needs to be changed.

A Big Company with a "small town" kinda feel...in a good way though.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the efforts they're making to incorporate some new "Cultural Beliefs" for the Company. At first, when I heard about it, my immediate thought was "here we go again with Corporate mumbo jumbo fluff". But after seeing the leaders of the Company take them seriously and really try to implement them into all of the employees' daily lives, I think it's pretty cool. Also, the wellness program and free health insurance are the bees knees!

Cons

I am pretty disappointed in the very limited number of opportunities for growth (e.g. movement up the corporate latter) here, mostly because I was constantly told during my preemployment phases about the many different opportunities available to employees. I should point out though that there definitely are opportunities being posted on the careers website all the time...but most of them are IT or Medical Professionals (so if that's your area, YOU'RE SET!~) Unfortunately, I am not either of those areas so I am pretty much stuck where I am for God knows how long. I don't hate my job or anything...(keep in mind I've given them a 4 Star rating). If you're looking for a career and you're not concerned about making the fast track up the corporate latter, you'll probably be completely content here. Unfortunately, I am a long-term planner by nature, so it is very tough for me to continue doing something without having a clue of where I'll be in 10 years (probably int he same position) or without having SOME KIND OF GOAL to work toward. Again though, to each his own. The people are great, the company is wonderful, and a majority of the time, I feel very appreciated by my coworkers. Little things add up and make the experience much more enjoyable.

My biggest advice to Management is this:
    Listen to the people who work under your supervision. They may surprise you with a few good ideas. Invite them to meetings that are relevant to something they work on. Just because they are lower than you in rank, doesn't make them less of a person. The biggest factor I've seen in some areas contributing to low employee morale is how the employees don't feel respected by their managers. Gestures a simple as asking the employee's thoughts on a situation carry SO MUCH WEIGHT. The employee immediately feels that they are part of the team and that matter. Currently, I've seen employees in these departments pretty down, having a hard time getting to work, or even being engaged in their work, because the only message they are receiving from their managers is that they aren't high enough or important enough in the company to matter . I have a feeling this behavior is not something specific to Blue Cross. It probably exists in many businesses. But just because it's common, doesn't mean they shouldn't try to improve it.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana