There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

Company trying to change its employee satisfaction trajectory

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Nice people, great SF location, decent salaries.

Cons

Job titles seem to be one level down (eg, as a Sr Manager I'm running projects that would be a Director at other companies). Career path is totally variable depending on your manager. Lack of visibility to Senior Leadership - there seems to be a wide gulf between C-level / SVP and the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Allow mid-level managers who run projects or own programs to present to you directly when you have a question about their area of expertise - instead of funneling your request down through all the managerial levels, and having the answer filter up through all those layers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Tough to get things done

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Pay is decent but no work life balance if you work in a department that actually has to get things done (versus something at Corporate)...

Cons

Mgmt changes their perspective all the time from making money and cutting jobs to being concerned about what the paper writes. Two leaders with different ideas makes it nearly impossible to get the company aligned, but it's a consensus culture so nothing moves forward...

Advice to Management

Let people make decisions and do their jobs or get rid of them

The job was OK, my coworkers were great, everything else SUCK.

Former Employee - IT Technical Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Technical Lead in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Pay was OK, workplace was above par. Job flexibility was good unless you have a terrible manager like I did for 2.5 years. Good and competent people.

Cons

Health insurance cost was way high. As an employee, I was paying more than a regular guy w/ a family. Good thing SF has the Healthy SF plan. IT Department was a hit-or-miss. One Server Ops group was so bad that it held up one of my projects for almost 2 years. Upper mgmt. didn't do diddly squat.

Advice to Management

Listen to your own advice. You all advocate openness and change, but when it comes down to it, you don't care about either. You all are just interested in business as usual. This attitude comes all the way from the top, and it percolates to the CFO and the CTO. I don't blame you; you're part of a monopoly. Why change.