Blue Shield Of California

www.blueshieldca.com

Stagnant, old school, secure place to work

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

Blue Shield has good benefits. The campus is well equipped with a healthy cafe and an onsite workout center. The health benefits are better than standard. Tuition assitance is helpful and pension and 401K are great.

Cons

The company overall is very stuck in the past. Measures are being taken to shift the company culture but it is moving slowly. Growth potential is limited and difficult. The departments are siloed and people step on each other. A lot of duplicate work because of a lack of communication. Company needs to become more united and collaborative.

Update your philosophies. Value your current employees.

Other reviews for Blue Shield Of California

It was a strange place to be stuck in a rapidly changing world.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Blue Shield's offices could not be more BART-easy, and if your manager likes you, work-from-home opportunities are plentiful. Also, if you're good at what you do and you like doing it, you'll find lots of chances to dig in here. I learned a lot at BSC and really sharpened my skills: I was using them often, with many different groups.

Cons

There is a definite high-school vibe to Blue Shield of California. While the rest of its technology lags, the gossip network is thriving. Managers play favorites, as do work groups within teams. If you fall out of favor, you will never know why -- or hear about changes in your area until it's too late.

In general, Blue Shield moves very, very slowly, with a kind of deliberate reluctance. My interview process took three months. Once I started working there, I found so much resistance to any kind of change that it became obvious that only a fool would try. I made it to almost two years of playing the fool before I had to leave.

I know there is nothing anyone can say that will make you change. Good luck in 2014.

Learning Exeperience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

Great people. Oppurtunities in all areas

Cons

Senior management
    Not staffed appropriately for number of people.

Listen to your people

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!